what's everybody listening to now?

YukisP

DT is a GOD! This guy totally blows me out of the water...master of tension and release...they moved through standard blues, sufi and indian music, jazz, funk, and reggae seamlessly...it was incredible..

only complaint was that it was a really short show...1 set + 1 song encore and it wasnt even 2 hrs!! I blame it on Club Quattro..they are tight-asses there...

But checking him out again on sunday at the blues carnival!! Cant wait!

danz

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

geeze, and I missed that. I made a huge mistake. Them niggas know their stuffing.

hi danz,

The String Cheese Incident will play at Bonnaroo Festival on 11th of June. This event looks very nice. But you will be still travelling at this time and not home yet. So you can't go, can you?

Someone down the hallway from me seems to be into the Cult in a big way - thats all we've heard the last few nights. Not exactly my style.

I've been listening to some old Beatles lps recently.

modest mouse are fantastic. it doesnt sound like the older M.M stuff, but i kinda like the direction they are going.

just went on a epitonic.com downloading spree and im now listening to the likes of:

dealership

sundays best

elefant

spoon

Kate Bush. Weird and wonderful.

Downloaded The Sensual World the other day - one I bought when it first came out way back. Brings back a lot of memories.

I could never get into here music, it always seemed a big odd somehow. It might be worth revisiting.

This thread has really taken off since everyone has gotten an iPod.

Recent listens include a lot of:

The Postal Service

The New Amsterdams - Worse for the Wear

Modest Mouse - Good News for People that Love Bad News

Brand New - Deja Entendu

Deathcab for Cutie

From Autumn to Ashes

Soul Position

People Under the Stairs

Danger Mouse & Jemini

Mad Villain (MF Doom & Madlib)

Manda - I would still be interested in reading that paper you asked about KEXP for if you want to send it to me.

Quote:
Originally posted by enderzero:
This thread has really taken off since everyone has gotten an iPod.

Recent listens include a lot of:

The Postal Service
Brand New - Deja Entendu
Deathcab for Cutie
From Autumn to Ashes
Soul Position
People Under the Stairs
Danger Mouse & Jemini

Manda - I would still be interested in reading that paper you asked about KEXP for if you want to send it to me.
you must be warned that its a paper about the layout of the KEXP website for internet radio purposes, rather than a history of KEXP as an FM station. its basically me comparing an FM station website to a internet-only radio station website. i chose KEXP because i like the seattle music scene and i figured it would be good to listen to while i wrote the paper.
if you want to check it out, let me know where you want it sent.

good choice with the death cab.
 Quote:
The Postal Service
Brand New - Deja Entendu
Deathcab for Cutie
From Autumn to Ashes
Soul Position
People Under the Stairs
Danger Mouse & Jemini
I have never heard of any of them. Just out of interest, how do you find these groups in the first place? I'm all open to new music (I want to find more stuff actually), but can't spend hours aimlessly sampling stuff.
 Quote:
Originally posted by slimeypete:
I have never heard of any of them. Just out of interest, how do you find these groups in the first place? I'm all open to new music (I want to find more stuff actually), but can't spend hours aimlessly sampling stuff.
A couple of the bands (Modest Mouse, Deathcab) are from Seattle and I have been following them for some time. The Postal Service and The New Amsterdams have band members from other bands I like (Deathcab and The Get Up Kids, respectively) so I wanted to check them out. Mad Villain I read about and then downloaded. The Other stuff was recommended to me by friends (Mr.Sparkle included). I have checked out bands rec'd by people on here (Manda, NoFakie, snowboard_freak), surfed similar artists/influences on allmusic.com, and just taken chances downloading bands I have heard of. I also occasionally find bands by seeing them randomly live. That doesn't happen too often but I am usually quite partial to bands I discover that way.

Anyone that thinks they would like a band that mixes Seattle Emo sounds with 80s New Wave Synths should definitely check out The Postal Service. Their album is truly amazing.

slimeypete, you'd do well to check out enderzero's recommendations. He has an eclectic taste, and recommends everything passionately, even straying far beyond the line of breathless hyperbole.

Some of his (and manda's) recs are now permanent and beloved features of my playlists. The Postal Service got deleted pretty damn quick though.