what's everybody listening to now?

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

geeze, and I missed that. I made a huge mistake. Them niggas know their stuffing.

Yeah, I know what he's talking about, and having just run Ad-aware again, I know that it exists. I'm still not convinced there's anything particularly malignant about it though.

Well, there's kinda 2 issues at stake here. One is the ads. The other is the spyware which is way worse. normal kazaa has extra software hiding in it when u install it, there's also a release clause buried in all the documentation. Basically your computer becomes their bug and sends info on all the websites u visit, when u visit them, all that stuff that marketing companies luv a) hitting u with more ads that might appeal to u B) onselling that info for profit c) hijacking rival sites etc. possibly the biggest invasion of privacy u can get on the internet. anyway, check out this url for more detailed info about kazaa.

http://www.scumware.com/wm1.html

ocean, if u're comfortable with that, all the more power to u but u can always get kazaa-lite instead which doesn't have the spyware. PM if u're interested in the url.

:rolleyes:

That would be awful - if it were true. But it's not true. I don't know how old that content in your link is, but it hasn't been valid for at least 6 months, and I don't know if it was valid before that either.

And I don't get my pants in an uproar about the concept of targeted ads either.

hey ocean,

i remember installing the original kazaa many moons ago. I remember having to re-write my host file to kill the pop-ups, messing with regedit and some other things i can't omoidasu right now. maybe it's because i don't like the idea of sumbody else using my own computers resources to spy on me that makes me loathe kazaa(but not kazaa-lite and the nice german people who developed it).

i'm pretty sure what scumware says is true. The pc's at school have evil GAINtrickler on and there's lotsa hijacking pop-ups there that i don't get at home.

What, you think I wouldn't notice if there were all sorts of weird yellow links all over the websites I visit? Which would be the case if what that content said was true.

Well if you're comfortable with repeating things that might have been true many moons ago but that have now changed, well all the more power to you. And another thing; Kazaa and GAINtrickler are different programs. As I'm sure you know.

I just had a look at the Kazaa Lite website, and immediately my window is filled with something called Popupmoney.com traffic. An interesting start to pop-up free filesharing...

i'm guessing u used a search engine like google to find the kazaa lite site. The one with all the pop-ups and no kazaa-lite is a fake. Ironic how people who spam/sponge ads will use any opportunity to do it. This is my major beef with kazaa (and others like real player ) and it's deception in giving u software u don't want, didn't ask for and in most cases don't even know about cos it's bundled with what u want and then hidden in the user agreement. Not illegal but who reads the 10 page agreement anyway? on top of that using the hardware that u paid for without ur knowledge to communicate about your habits and how to market to u, your mileage may vary as i said b4 but it's just asking too much from me. phewm what a rant. anyway, it's the willful "deception" that i don't dig.

Trust me on the kazaa-lite thing. The experience goes from annoying to care-free.

Dokumanju, hey, I'm using Kazaa lite now. It's cool. But it's taking thievery and parasitism to a new level because the people who develop Kazaa don't get any benefit for developing it, and nor do the people who make the music and software I pinch. Oh dear, the burden of guilt.

I'm rather enjoying Sheryl Crow at the moment. She's done some good stuff. Not new I know, but damn fine, damn fine. She can come over and sing on my back porch any time she wants.

Oh, and if Linkin Park come and whinge on my back porch I'll set them alight with Zippo fuel mad.gif

• 1 month later...

In my CD player right now (all are collections burned from mp3s ripped off Kazaa lite!):

Vicente Fernandez (I think the most famous of all "rancheras" singers)

Red House Painters

My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult

But that is not what I am listening to right now.

Right now, I am listening to the blaring sound of "Dexter's Laboratory" emanating from the living room. My wife loves watching American cartoons to help improve her English.

Even worse, she sides with Dexter's stupid little sister!

Sheesh.

Does no-one here listen to more "mainstream" (for want of a better word) music? Or just embarrassed to admit to it?

Quote:
Originally posted by cal:
Not into radio myself - they don't always play what I want to listen too, and far too much talking.
before the internet age... theres hardly any talking on the stations i listen to, just a continuous flow of funkified streams to keep the soul at ease. plenty of choice at your fingers if one station fails to appease any given mood.

c'mon guys hop aboard \:\) the stream train

oh my gawd its a funky afternoon already.
 Quote:
Originally posted by 1:
Does no-one here listen to more "mainstream" (for want of a better word) music? Or just embarrassed to admit to it?
for sure. i listen to "mainstream" music. most of what i listen to is considered by the masses as mainstream, bar a few indie bands, and smaller local bands. i have pretty eclectic taste in music.

right now im listening to jean leloup.

Mainstream = Mariah Carey, Bon Jovi, Michael Jackson, top of chart big-selling famous artists

Not mainstream = lots of the bands mentioned in this thread!!

Maybe?? Just a guess! \:D

omega, that's what I was thinking, but it sounds as though they all ought to have choked on their own vomit several years ago (y'know, after the old pattern). Are they still 'working' and 'making music' after all these years? I'm totally out of the loop here, so I wouldn't know... \:D

I don't realy listen to the radio much, they don't play many songs that i like!! If i do listen to it it's only Triple J.

Mainstream pop music is SHIT!! Not a fan.

At the moment I'm listening to the new Hed(pe) album and I've also been listening to some of the songs from the snowboarding flick "Notice To Appear". It's my normal taste in music but I'm diggin' it!