I think we all need to re-read the first post of this thread!!! Go on read it now................

I am so sure that this has been discussed several times before on this board - even in my short time here.

But i want to add my $0.02 on the stability of the operating systems.

Mac OS 9 - was a bit unstable, esp with the internet when running multiple applications. Mac OS 9.1 was a little better, and 9.2 better again - still not perfect though.

Mac OSX - i am yet to have a crash using OSX, and i have tried to crash it.

Windows - the most stable Windows OS to date (IMO) is Windows 95, maybe Windows 98 2nd ed. XP is just plain shit.

Anyway - if you haven't already - RE-READ THE FIRST POST IN THIS THREAD!!

cheers!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes i do want to have my say Mr 11, i could have gone on for a lot longer, but really couldn't be arsed covering the same stuff again.

My experience with XP is that it crahes a lot and thus, i find it unstable. It "works fine" may be true for some, but certainly not me. I wouldn't want it if i were to by a new PC.

SF I will clarify myself. No I have not had a crash, but I have had several program freezes on OSX. Nothing major, but strangely enough the freezes and other problems I am getting have to do with Apple's bundled software. Mainly mail.

Still love my Mac though.

This is a topic that no one will ever agree on!

I am running 3 setups, OSX on a new Powerbook, XP on a Fujitsu note (was Me...crap!) and win98se on my old desktop.

Never, never, never had a crash on OSX! and for the work I am doing such as Vid editing its the dogs bolloks! The others well, a crash every time I use them! And alot of hassling to get new 3rd party products going!

anyway, Mac is good for me, and until it starts crashing to a point that has me throwing it around the room i will continue to enjoy using it!

Beauts of a mac:

1:loads of design software made primarily for mac interface

2:easy to fix, mess with, get stuff to work instantly with

3: Hold their value (my three year old G4 is still sellable at little under half it's cost price (the flip side is that it's expensive to upgrade).

Can't say I think it still has a lead over windows machines, though. The new pentium chips kick arse in the graphic design dpt, and cost a lot less. If I were able to switch everything (inc. all my work) to windows, i'd be sorely tempted. Bugjer whats cool, I got a mac because at the time they were the best thing for what I do. Unfortunately, getting less true by the year.

I don't believe anybody who says XP crashes every time, or even frequently. Certainly ME is dreadful software and barely workable.

Sometimes software that is running on XP crashes, but it never brings the system down with it, at least not on my computer.

Well ocean... you just because your having "good luck" dosent mean everyone is.

As everyone has said i havent had one crash on OSX its been unreal! i havent even had a program freeze in it! not once, and thats in 3mths.

anyways as i stated before i didnt want to start a whole thing, i was just interested in whos using what?!

I have not turned off my FP iMac for 3 months. There is no way my OS9.x machine or any Win OS machine I have ever used could go this long without a crash. To be honest I felt that I had crashes in OS 9.x just as much as in any Windows box. Both gave me the shirts.

But, If there is one thing that I am astoundingly impressed at, it has been the fool proof stability of later versions of OSX.

Dudes, only the appearance is different - MAC or PC? Garbage!! Two systems = one factory, one owner!

The only common denominators are, being over-priced and full of glitches!! \:\(

Give me an AMSTRAD or COMMODORE anyday! ;\)

(Whoa, like there's a hint at my age!!)

Later,

SZ.

Ahhh, how does this argument never get old? I swear we bring it up every month. Yet we always all say the same thing.

Windows XP is not a buggy OS dude. If you have had experience with it crashing a lot, then you are in the minority. I have used every operating system since DOS 6.0/Win 3.1 an enormous amount. Windows XP is the all around best OS to date for the PC. NT 4 was more stable but way too limited for the everyday user. If it is your opinion that Win95 was the most stable you have not used any others enough. Win98, 98se, NT4, Win2k and WinXP have all been better OSes. You may notice that they have systematically gotten better with time (except for WinME which MS's sales teams forced the company to fart out because they thought Win2k was too complicated for ma and pa PC user).

I agree that owning the company and developing the hardware and the software has enormous advantages for Apple to make things work better. It also makes it more expensive. Plus this advantage will soon be a thing of the past (if it isn't already). With the worldwide acceptance of Windows as the primary OS across desktops, Microsoft can set the policy the way apple does for its machines, without developing the hardware. You know much about Direct X and other standards in APIs. Did you ever have to get hardware working on a PC pre Win95...or even pre Direct X? Today everything works. I really don't see how it could be more simple than it is right now.

For performance there is really only one answer. PCs are incredibly faster and at a huge cost advantage. The 3D gaming performance of Macs best 3D card is completely incomparable to a suped up PC rig.

Finally, I am sorry but the mouse does make a huge difference. I can use the keys if I want. I have the same keys. But a nice ergonomic mouse with 5 buttons and a scroll wheel allows me to do sooooo much more. This applies especially in games, but also in everyday computing and graphics program usage (of which I do quite a bit).

I do not hold any grudges or have any preconceived notions about Mac users. Nor do I hope to change anyone's opinions. I am sure an advanced Linux-head could tear me to pieces over why Linux is superior...for what he uses it for. I have just made my decision for myself, for what makes sense for me.

ahhh...

well I just had a major system crash on my pc... mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

I did one of those automatic windows update thingies...and next thing I know I can't even boot up xp...somehow it lost some .dll's...

so had to reformat my c drive and reinstall everything! I'm pissed...

danz

Well, I don't think any honest PC user is going to say it's perfect, or even very good a lot of the time. I locked myself out of XP by mis-installing a new mouse and had unbelievable difficulty getting back in. I had half the computer shops in central Nagano scratching their heads over it.

But the difference between Mac users and PC users is probably the fact that there's no such term as 'the PC faithful' whereas the term exists for Mac users.

I like the mac 'cause I look at it, click on what I want, use it, save it, walk away. For everyday stuff it is designed to be easy to use. If you like to get techie it doesnt offer lots and lots of fiddly things to look at (like the 100's of files that are placed on your directory for one program. .dll - whats that?). The unix prompt allows you to tech your heart out, but it isnt needed for teh day to day user.

As for simple networking: I had to set up both my PC and Mac to access ADSL via the router and also to file share. The Mac was simple, clean and obvious. The PC had me going around in circles clicking on poperties buttons and drilling down and down thru dialogue bax after dialogue box.

Gaming - cant comment.

viruses - never been a problem on the Mac. when has it ever been? (i understand that unix is easy to write viruses for, but few bother due to the higher % damage that can be done aiming at PC users).

I think the mac mouse sucks. who do mac think they are telling me how I MUST interact with my machine? At least PC's give you a choice. This is not teh only interface issue I have with macs. Hot keys are a joke, as to is alt-keystroke access to application menus.

why the hell am i saying typing this. i feel into the trap. like EZ said, it has all been discussed 100 times before.

Roger's head, as I've already said in this thread, I went from some 5 years of Mac to PC. The change was because I used PC at work and I realized it wasn't the fount of evil that Mac faithfulness had led me to believe. They're actually very similar.

I've never lost data from viruses on a PC although I lost a heap from the Michelangelo virus on the Mac years ago. I've connected to the Net from both, and the level of difficulty is about the same.

The advantage of PC is the cost, the basic input (mouse), and the currency of the format and software. The merits of the Mac don't outweigh any of that, not even membership in the Cult.

Logging in to test a reinstall of W2K.

I find that whatever version of Windows I use, I always end up buggering it up eventually and that a good reinstall gets me back to nice, fast and smooth.

Its a major pain, but gets me going once again.

If youve got more than one big hard disk, its not so hard to do.

Never used a mac properly so cant comment on them.

(cant get the apostrophe up-no keyboard driver-sorry)

Quote:
Originally posted by Roger's head:
Has anyone ever "moved-over" from one to the other, after many years of using one.??
Yep. I used to be a die hard PC user. Converted about 18 months or two years ago i got a Mac and since then have used Mac's at home and PC's at work and college.

I much prefer Mac's even though i probably know the Windows machines much better.
  • 2 months later...