Noise pollution - are there no laws?!!?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey ender,

been here in japan for 5 years. why i'm here is a long story but basically i studied japanese and my gf at that time was a j-girl. I came over for her after uni but it didn't work out and i ended up staying.

ender, have u heard the song "ender will save us all" by dashboard confessional. maybe u're the next donnie darko.

Yo Doku - yeah I am a big Dashboard fan. Have you seen them live? I caught them in October. They really rocked. You can hear the direction they are goin with their Summer Kiss EP (especially Ender...) - you should give em a second chance amandanism. But I've been enderzero longer than Dashboard Confessional has been a band.

I will gladly be Donnie Darko if it means I get to hook up with Jena Malone.

Quote:
Originally posted by zwelgen:
[QB]And dont go forgetting the chimes either. Im not sure if this is just a rural thing but EVERY morning at 7am the chimes from big ben are blasted out from the city office of which I live next door to. Then at midday, 5pm and 9pm. No one has given me a decent explaination as to why, esp 7am why I need to hear chimes at 7am on a Sunday!!!! mad.gif QB]
Zwelgen - I live right across the street from a bunch of rice paddies and other fields on the edge of town. I have one of those blasted speakers right by my house! Here it is 6am, 9am, noon, 6pm and 8pm and of all things they play 'Edelweis'. I was told the reasoning for these things was in the past it was a way to communicate to the farmers when to begin the day, when to take lunch, dinner, and when to quit.

I actually began waking up at 5am just so I could avoid the morning one. They still are a terror on the weekends though.
  • 2 weeks later...

I was staying with friends in Toyama last night, and this morning at 6am a siren went off that woke me up. mad.gif

They said that the siren goes off EVERY MORNING. mad.gif

Nor have they figured out that some people actually work to different schedules and would appreciate not being woken up at those times.

If I lived in a place like that, I'd have a very big set of bolt cutters in my tool box...

When I was living in Takasaki I had an entire apartment building go up behind where I was living. Talk about noisy. The worst part was that they worked in shifts so that I could hear the jack hammers going at 3:00 in the morning. It used to drive me up the wall. I heard that they weren't allowed to actually make such a din after 10:00 but nobody said anything.

european town clocks will often chime 24 hours a day, on the hour, half and quarter hour. At 12 o'clock you get 12 chimes in a row, 5 chimes of 5 o'clock etc.

They sound nice particularly if the bell is the product of the local bell foundary from 200 years ago.

Somehow I suspect that teh japanese town chimes are not of that quality.

We used to have a really old grandfather clock that chimed on the quarter hour, half hour, three quater hour and then hour - as db explained. It was a very old clock and didn't sound to bad. Plus because i grew up with it i was used to it and it didn't phase me at all. It was just background noise in the end.