As the image of Japan? No. I actually find I spend less money here - but that is mainly because my spending habits have changed. Some things are less expensive (cars, batteries) but some things are more (beer, fruit, everything else). But I would say it isn't far and away incredibly more. I hear it's pretty damn expensive to live in Tokyo, especially if you try to get anything like the square footage you would probably get at home (where is that by the way?). But it's expensive to live in New York, or San Francisco, or London, or even Seattle.

sometimes yes, other times no. Depends on what you are after and where you try to get it/where you live. Clothes can be very expensive or very cheap (and good enough quality smost of the time). Food can be expensive, but it doesn't have to be if you look around or know what is going on. Transport is expensive but great quality. Housing can be expensive. regarding being at the snow: I was recently in switzerland and I think that Japan is a tad cheaper overall.

It depends where you are from. Im from NZ and off the top of my head I cant think of anything cheaper here except for film, blank MDs and the occasional cheap item of clothing (if it fits). But thats because NZ is super cheap, but as are the wages.

I forgot to say though if you are earning yen then things are fine and the Asian travel is accessable and great