Asahi beer = maiden's water?

We've had a favourite beer topic, now how about a gripe about our least favourite beer?

I hate all Asahi beer. It's horrible and widdly. Not only that, the ads on television seem to consist of 'technology' and 'urine'. It's a beer that is produced in stainless steel factories and shipped in diesel lorries, and when you open the can and wave it about, the beer looks exactly like somebody is taking a slash. (Hasn't one of the buchos that surely vet these ads ever thought to himself 'Kore, shonben daro'?!)

Asahi Supaa Dorai is the very worst, and even the first sip is no joy. Always the first and only choice at the enkai, Supaa Dorai gives you a drunken feeling as of drowning.

But, if you like Asahi beer, I'd be curious to know why. And, have you ever tried recycling it?

in Oz I drank it in buckets. Far better than any of the domestic crisp/dry beers.

However, just like sushi, since i have been in japan i dont appreciate it nearly as much as I used to. It is just beer now.

I am with you Ocean, although I haven't tried much of the happo-shu,

I think Asahi is garbage, reminds me of Old Style and Schlitz at home - a couple of beers that went out of business, because, get this, they were disgusting.

It does have a distinctive cat-urine aroma and flavor.

But let me say that the red cans are much better than the dorai. That stuff takes the crap cake.

Yep, living here I cant imagine how ASD got so trendy back home. A few years ago, my sister came to visit, and on spying an ASD at the airport gleefully knocked back three cans (for breakfast). Pure sacrilege, having just come from the land of pale ale...

ASD, tastes crap and gives me asthma attacks...

It does have it's upside though, you dont have to wait 'til the next day for ya hangover, it tends to start just after the end of the second glass... mad.gif

Yeah! Bring it on!

I agree barok, that red stuff is almost potable. I signed up to be a tester for that (god knows why), and got a few free tinnies (see, god does know why), and it was OK to wash down dinner with. But not worth paying money for.

The reason why Super Dry gives you that 'preview' hangover is that it has 'secret ingredients' that shouldn't even be in beer.

As for it being classed as crip/dry, I think Nagano tap water is crisper, and Osaka tap water is drier.

barok...

when you said shlitz that almost made me fall out of my chair...that and pbr were household names when I grew up in cheese-land...milwaukee is the king of **** -beer \:D

quite frankly, I think most japanese beers taste the same...I'll drink it, but I'm not a fan...I prefer me ale's and pale ale's...and those are hard to come by around here....

danz

Wow, I agree completely. The Asahi Super Dry export must be something different because I used to love that stuff at home. It is by far my least favorite beer here now though. The red can is drinkable, but I prefer almost all others. Actually I really don't like Sapporo Draft either.

Danz - PBR!!!! Pabst Blue Ribbon is my number one favorite cheap ass beer! Doesn't get much better than $1 pints near the local college.

PBR me ASAP

That was their slogan for a while - god knows why. They had a song to go with it and everything. Great cheap beer.

I remember stealing cans of Schlitz from my friend's dad when we were in 8th grade, and not even being able to drink it.

Yep that's one good thing about being back in the US...I see (then drink) microbrews all over the place and not much more money than Budweiser, the McDonalds of beers.

The etiology of your respective enjoyments of ASD in the place called "back home" is the blandly foisted spoilment/staling of the brew on the long ocean voyage to your country. This unexpected transformation of the ASD brewers' mechanical art imparts to the specimen some added flavor and brack, and is justly recognized as an improvement over the original.

Hence your disappointment with the genuine article as laid on by default at every single ochugen-tithe and nomikai, year after year after year, unless some oddly imaginative buchou goes completely hog-wild and orders up Kirin Lager to the amazement of all present.

For all you appetent vinophiles, when those ASD boats turn around laden with the fruit of your noble vinyards for transport to the Land of the Rising Sun, equally crass and deleterious care is applied to the bottles with the reverse effect: any bottle of imported wine to be had in Nippon raises the gnawing specter of spoliage.

The moral? Stick to the cheap ones...you've a lot less to lose and will lose track after the second glass anyway.

;\)

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but - can you REALLY tell the differnce with most of the main beers here? I can't tell that much of a difference. (And I'm not including stronger/differnt beers in here like Ebisu etc)

No flames from me scouser. I agree it's hard to tell at first as the field of standard Japanese beers is so narrow and flat. But there is just sufficient difference to be able to take a sip and think either 'uh, Ok', or 'uh, No'. With Ebisu it may even get to 'uh, Mmm'. With Asahi beers, it starts out as 'uh, No', and gets quickly more depressing.

I find that to be nearly the same with Kirin beer, but the self-conscious historicising of Kirin and its somewhat artful presentation seems to make a slight difference. Not that I would ever buy it though. When Kirin introduced their 'historical' series, it was interesting to note that the Taisho incarnation was better than all the others. I think it must have taken courage on the part of Kirin to admit in that way that their beer has undergone a process of 'advancing to the rear'.

As for wine, bullet-proof South African wines at 680 yen seem to be a safe bet.

ender...

$1 for pbr...that must have been one of those fancy type college pubs...

I remember my local college dive had a PBR $0.25 special going on for a while...that spells trouble...although I think the bottles were from the 80's.. :p

danz

I just want to add a shout-out of love to PBR, Schlitz, Old Milwaukee, Lone Star Light...all the cheap-ass beers of junior high. They would be considered the "Kings of Crisp Dry Enjoying of Life" if they were introduced here.

BTW, anyone ever hear of Glacier Bay beer? Also a favorite cheap beer which featured a bottle opener on the bottom of each bottle; nothing beat the feeling of finishing a bottle and then using said bottle to open your next. Also created camaraderie when you opened a friend's bottle with yours ("Here, let me get that for you. Let's beer-ing!"). Sadly, Glacier Bay is no longer with us. \:\(

yup, old milwaukee was the epitome of high school cheap drinking. when i got to college i graduated to the finer brew of natty ice. luckily though, the local microbrew yeungling wasn't that expensive (especially when you have to buy by the case in pennsylvania) so we could splurge on that. man, those were the days.

• 3 weeks later...

:rolleyes:

Missed that one.

Worst beer? Well I think they all taste pretty much the same, but I have some bad bad memories of Carlsberg Special Brew. That stuff is potent.

Yeah I tried the Kirin Namakuro dark Happo-shu. Can't say I am too fond of it. Couldn't they have done something a little bit more snazzy with the can? Plain brown?

Ocean - congrats on the 3000th post.

holy shit just saw this thread....PBR!!!!!! Pabst Blue Ribbon is the nastiest hangover inducing cow piss on earth wow....in Keystone Colorado years ago in a bar called the "Goat" they used to have a *free* keg every Sunday night! free free free until it was drained every Sunday night! nasty evil stuff gave me wicked ass hangovers, but free is good and we all used to lap it up drink.gif

Anyone try the Kirin "Maribana" beer with the green label? Tried it recently and at least it had a distinctive taste. Can't decide whether or not the hangover the next day was a result of the specially cultivated Maribana hops...