Hi. I always notice when I go back home (to the US) how everyone smells much stronger (both good - perfume, and bad - sweat!).

I've not been here in Japan long, but is there any particular reason why you hardly ever smell any perfumes/aftershaves etc here?

I guess it's the harmony thing, and maybe a history of personal hygiene for those who can afford it.

Personally I hate smelly people, whether they smell because they don't wash, or because they put stinky things on themselves. Having a very strong sense of smell, to me people that wear perfume are equivalent to somebody who goes about shouting all the time. Flying on Singapore Airlines is sheer torture to me, as all the flight attendants seem to have bathed in a very sharp perfume, and everything in the cabin stinks of something.

Wait till summer on crowded trains bigbear, youll notice a few smells then!!

Interesting that people dont wear much perfume etc here, I know I use just a light one.

yesterday I was at the mogul world cup and walked into the race office at the end of competition, I guess the athletes etc had showered and there was a nice MAN smell about the place, maybe a whiff of aftershave, maybe just man smelling deoderant. But mmmmm I like it and I realised how much I missed it. \:\(

But I agree, there is definately a point where it can be too much

I still can't understand why I can't find decent deoderant ie not those gross Japanese brands which spray some kind of powder. I was in The Loft yesterday and you can buy thousands of hair products but not one deoderant.

Davo, yeah bro me too! I just send the order thru to tha oldies 2 send a few more cans of REXONA over via mail. although you can't send aerosols i always seem to get em! 5 more cans on their way with my mum just in time 4 summer!

even guys don't really wear colognes etc. My students (HSgirls) always ask me what I am wearing! and tell me that their boyfriends don't wear anything!