What's your town famous for?

Hi there

It seems that even the smallest village in Japan has something that it's "famous for"! I'm living about 30 minutes south of Niigata city right near Sanjo.

Sanjo is famous for cutlery.

A small village right near us is, I hear, famous for cucumbers!! No word on how widerange that word famous covers!

What's your town famous for?

Apples? Are you from Aomori-ken Echineko?

My hometown back in Hawaii is famous for macadamia nuts and papayas.

Misawa is barely a town but they are famous for being rude. The first place I've been in Japan where it seems that more often than not, you do not hear "irrashaimase" when you walk in the door of a business...drive 20 minutes away and everyone is polite and friendly again...

i thought my town had all the fame for apples. At the train station, here's a big ringo-no-machi sign. and the town mascot is an yukata-wearing apple. back in the US, my town is becoming famous for producing reality tv stars-- ruddie from the 1st survivor and now joe millionaire.

Quote:
Originally posted by amandanism:
in canada my home town isnt really renowned for anything but is in the region of the worlds highest tidal bore.
You from the Bay of Fundy? wow youare from the boonies

Sydney i think must be the obvious, habour bridge and the opera house..! food wise sydney dosent have much but the country areas have famous for the there are so many winerys (sp..?) in the hunter vally and mudgee and allout the country!

Let's see Osaka is famous for: takoyaki, loud people, former comedian Mayors who get in trouble for sexual harrasment, and.....ummm........the Glico running man next to Dotonbori bridge.

Quote:
Originally posted by kamoshika:
 Quote:
Originally posted by amandanism:
in canada my home town isnt really renowned for anything but is in the region of the worlds highest tidal bore.
You from the Bay of Fundy? wow youare from the boonies
around that area. if you know nova scotia its the
shubenacadie river region.

Ok this is going to make you all green with envy but my town (Iiyama) is famous for...

snow

Yes, we get so much of it that aparently its in the guiness book of records for the most snow that fell in 24 hrs. Something like 2m. Aparently. And last night when I got back from Hokkaido at 4am and waded through thigh deep snow in my jeans to the front door and couldnt open it because it was frozen so had to wade through the waist deep stuff around the side and climb though the bathroom window I could understand why. I mean I go away for 4 days and this is what happens?!!

snow+jeans=bad

I hear that my town (tokyo suburb) has lots of comedians and actors living in it. There is a film studio near my house so perhaps it is true.

It doesnt mean shit to me but a lot of Japanese people seem to think it is something special.