Usu in Hokkaido goes off fairly regularly, creating new mountains as it does. There's a Meiji one and a Showa one, the latter in what was some guy's wheat field. You can see before and after pics here

http://www.usuzan.com/mimatu_e.htm

More impressive than Charles Atlas, I'll say :p

There's a museum up there too with some exhibits from the last big eruption. Its right on a lake (Toyako) and is well worth a visit. It's a really beautiful area.

Last year/ two years ago Miyakejima an Island south of Tokyo spewed a lot of ash and all the locals were evacuated. Yep there Usu I remember it went crazy almost three years to the day.

Unzen in Kyushu was famous for a bit of serious pyroclastic action in 1991, but not so much ofthe hot red stuff.

http://village.infoweb.ne.jp/~hyamasat/eruption.html

here is a list of recent activity.

You interested in Geology magma?

Quote:
Originally posted by magma:
Geology? Whats that?
something I blew 3 years of my life on studying at University....

but your right magma is cool.....or should that be hot!

We have one of the most active volcano's on earth back home on the big island of Hawaii. It started erupting in Jan 1983 and has been erupting continuously ever since. I remember being home and watching 1000 foot high fountains from my back yard.

Volcanos are definetly cool.

When i was in high school we went for a family trip to New Zealand. We were planning on hitting the slopes at Mt (damn, cant the remember the name. Starts with R and its on the north island.) Anyway, the mountain decided it was going to erupt for the whole time we were there. So we didn't get any sliding in, but damn it was a beautiful site. Not quite the 1000ft fountains that Ray saw but still amazing to see first hand.

Yes, Ocean, I have an elder sister living in Aussieland now and a younger one in Canuckland. Both have more than their fair share of genes for good looks. I, unfortunately, got left with only a pair of bland old "jeans".

Thats the one Markie! Cheers. I had a complete mind blank. Must be getting old........ \:D

I reckon you should go and join her Markie, its a gorgeous area. Well from what I remember, and that is much seeing that i couldn't remember the name of the place!!