Patriotism is a blindfold. It's what allowed the US government to get as far as they've gotten with their totally transparent drive for war. It's what allowed Germany and Japan do what they did in WW2. We all live in the same world, and what goes around comes around.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MS - you're close, and somewhat correct - patriotism can be a blind fold, and of course blind patriotism is a blind fold. There are quite a few fanatical terrorist wannabees over in the middle east who fit your definition very well.

I think the thing most people around the world aren't aware of is the fact that the average American, lacks the power to actually stop our government from doing what ever it wants. Vietnam was a perfect example of millions protesting but we still got involved.

Once a president is elected, only Congress has the power to stop him. They are not doing that however, so its obvious that Congress is supporting the President.

Don't confuse the patriotism shown by average Americans, as also being support for the President and his planned course of action. They do not necessarily go hand in hand. Most patriotism displayed by Americans is visible support for American troops who are in harms way at the moment.

Quote:
Originally posted by RayInJapan:
I think the thing most people around the world aren't aware of is the fact that the average American, lacks the power to actually stop our government from doing what ever it wants.
Ummmm isnt this one of the main arguements for ousting Mr Hussein? That he is a despot that doesnt represent the will of the people and getting rid of him will bring a wonderful, fabulous democracy?

> Don't confuse the patriotism shown by average Americans, as also being support for the President and his planned course of action. They do not necessarily go hand in hand. Most patriotism displayed by Americans is visible support for American troops who are in harms way at the moment.

And that's a nice simple explanation - and totally inadequate. Why are the troops there? Because the President put them there. You can't be supporting one and not the other, and if you feel you should try, then you're a sucker. There happen to be some soldiers who are questioning why they should be put in harm's way illegally and unconstitutionally - good on them for that. They can be proud to be American.

Quote:
Don't confuse the patriotism shown by average Americans, as also being support for the President and his planned course of action. They do not necessarily go hand in hand. Most patriotism displayed by Americans is visible support for American troops who are in harms way at the moment.
I hear what you're saying. Although there is certainly a difference between supporting troops and showing patriotism, they manifest in the same way and serve the same end.... I dont think it's constructive for people to wave flags and show support for a government that doesn't excersise the will of its constituents. You've got to realize that if when the war begins, it's going to be Vietnam all over again....

On a lighter note, I went around on the weekend asking girls to show there support for the French boycoutt and give me a "freedom kiss" but I drew many a blank.

It sounds like US Radio is boycotting the Dixie Chicks now because one of them said she was ashamed that President Bush is from Texas.

Now what was that First Amendment about again?

Ray the USA is not the world. Who created Sadam, (rumsfields former bum chum) pinochet, Mr. N from panama,(sorry cant spell it) African countries ignored and numerous other mal contents. The government of the USA, should take the blame for at least half of what its brouht into OUR world. Killing solves nothing.

That said the war is a for gone conclusion, it was decided long ago.

I just think that one country boycotting another countries products/services etc. just because they have a difference in foreign policy is a bit harsh. Especially if the actions of one country is against the international community, based on scant or no tangible evidence, and in the long term will probably not be in the best interest or improve the security of the general populace of that country anyway.

Oh and freedom fries :rolleyes: sheesh, sometimes it's just too easy to laugh at the actions of some americans

Ok - it's all well and fine for us to be engaged in this little freedom of speech excercise but - even though I'm Canadian - I'll be one of the first to cheer our "allies" in the event that they have to launch a US made Patriot Missle to avert a fizzle in my back yard....

It's always so easy for me to be rightously condemming of others when it has not much of a direct affect on me... And don't go starting that "Oh, but it does affect you Fred"... Every time Bush farts it affects the world economy and hence all of us...

Regardless I find the differing points of veiw here very interesting albeit a bit hipocritical on all of our parts... We represent a great crossection of ex-pats and all of our countries are not without shame, remorse for previous actions and skeletons in their closets...

Some of the most vocal of us are from Countries that have not in the past or currently seem to be serving the interests of world peace....

Amen Brother!

I think the French pretzel thing is funny. Americans are boycotting, hence not spending money to prove a point. The French are asking their brethren to spend money to make a point. Kinda of ironic in that either way - the french lose money.

Quote:
I think the French pretzel thing is funny. Americans are boycotting, hence not spending money to prove a point. The French are asking their brethren to spend money to make a point. Kinda of ironic in that either way - the french lose money.
Yeah but ray, at least they get a ****** good laugh while doing it ;\)

Whatever makes you feel better about it mate!

did you just say the word ******* ?

very dirty word that one.

I had a ******* nose.

it was a total ****. Now that is a dirty word.

blood isn't dirty. Why is ******* ???

It will be a ******* war.

edit: good god, even "blood space y" and "blood spelt with three o's and a y added" is censored.