What gets me is people wanting to put up a 10ft flag outside their house on a big prominent flagpole. They're very welcome to of course, but.... WHY?????

so they can tell which way the wind is blowing without getting out of bed. I always have such a device, but I usually use a nicely coloured wind sock from the local hippy store.

I don't know why this is such a fuss for some of you...what is the big deal if someone wants wear a pin or fly a flag?

I have been to a few countries and have seen far more displays of national pride (if # of flags waving in private homes is any measure) than I have seen in the states (pre 9-11...)...

whatever...its definetly NOT just an american phenomenom...

danz

ive never seen it anywhere quite like america... recently just stepping out of LAX u r bombarded with flags in every direction. (although some countries r mighty fond of plugging their head of state with piccies aplenty)

i think it is great to love your country. when i tell people ive travelled to many different countries and they ask which is best, i always say australia.

but i think its very important to remember that too much patriotism is a very dangerous thing

Can't say i've seen many Japanese wearing the flag pinned to their suit, but i have seen a lot wearing their company emblem. Seems to me the Japanese salaryman takes his identity just as much, if not more so, from his company than his country.