This is serious question ok?

I sometimes see interview on Tv with US reporter or politition and many of them have US flag pinbadge on their suit. Can someone tell me why is that? And other country people also do this?

Thanks! Aki

\:\)

They do it because they'll forget which country they're in unless they're constantly reminded. They're a bit dim that way. It seems they were pretty forgetful before 9/11 because they had flags everywhere before that too, but after 9/11 they had to take extra care in remembering by wearing little badges. In North Korea people are forced to wear little badges. In the US, they do it for freedom.

No, other countries don't do that.

Funny.

I'm not too keen on the old flag of country pinned to me all time routing.

Not everyone though, akibun - please don't get that impression.

Flag badges can be seen here and there in australia. perhaps not as much as USA, and perhaps small enamelled type ones rather than big disk ones.

It is interesting that a Japanese person asks about this, as just last week I was asking about the notable lack of flags (country, state, city, region etc) around tokyo. It makes it hard to tell how windy it is and from what direction the wind blows!

About 15 - 20 years ago American kids were getting a real tough go of it backpacking around Europe during summer holidays and so forth... Canadians however were enjoying a good international reputation and therefore were treated nicer by many locals...

In order to identify themselves as such, Foreign Affairs Canada suggested and even handed out Canadian flag patches to be sewn to their backpacks or jackets so they could be readily identified and not discriminated against...

Within a couple of years, however, this was all ruined by American kids who discovered they could get better treatment from the locals by doing the same thing....

The locals soon realized that the patches weren't a passport and soon started treating every english speaking "American" looking kid the same way.

Times have changed though and we all love each other now regardless of race, creed, colour, nationality, snow sport preference etc..,,,,

Something along the lines of a design/flag on a backpack being rather different than wearing a flag pinbadge on a suit - that is worn purely for the purposes of formal occasion/business.

I know what I want to say, just don't seem to be able to put it down in writing very well ;\)

It's the difference between identifying yourself as a national of one country in another country, and of identifying yourself as a national of your country in your own country.

In an international setting, I love seeing my country's flag. But I hate seeing it at home, and rarely do.

yeah, i don`t like seein my country`s flag either bcos everytime i see it, i also gotta see the union jack!

i wouldn`t consider myself patriotic, but i wouldn`t mind seein somethin that represents tha country i was born in.

just a thought...

i guess i don't see the big deal with people wearing flag pins on a suit. It's just a statement that you are proud of your country, patriotic, whatever. i think it's kinda like people wearing a red ribbon for aids or a pink one for breast cancer.

Indosnm- i don't see your logic. I'm american and i'm not going to hide my nationality. I consider myself open-minded, fairly well educated on international matters, and i disagree with a lot of what the current administration is doing. of course there are a lot of "stupid americans" (yanks, seppos, or whatever you want to call us, i dont care) that perpetuate the stereotype. If i pretend to be canadian, how are people of other nations going to realize that not all americans are ignorant and (insert negative trait here)? although i probably live up to the stereotype in some ways, in others i am far from it.

if only it were that simple mr. ocean.

hey zwelly, aussie males were voted tha best lovers in `Cosmo` a little while ago. and we all know what an authoritive it is on tha subject.

yeah baby, yeAH! :p

...so did it have the survey by durex (that people keep emailing me) that said 70something percent of women wished their men had bigger weenies?

just messing with you :p But oh how I miss reading cosmo, the things you miss eh!