Started? Air Raid Sirens Over Baghdad

Ray, just to let you know you aren't completely alone. After reading through this thread, I agree with a lot of the points that both sides have made. I don't want to get in to it for fear of getting my head ripped off \:\) . I had a really good discussion with a couple of US AirForce members last night. I think my biggest problem with the whole thing was the complete and unconditional support that they had for ANY US president that was in office. That bugged me quite a bit.

We were skiing Shimokura yesterday (classic spring skiing conditions - I just filmed a lot) and we had a blast. We were drinking beers on the way up the lift and I was filming a friend in front of me when out of nowhere he said, 'This just isn't fair. We're having all this fun and people are getting bombed'. What a buzzkill that was, but it also put in to light some of the realities of what is going on.

Let's just all hope for a quick resolution to this war. And good luck on the surgery Ray.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
A nice little bit of name-dropping there,
I am sorry that the spelling in my previous post did not pass muster.... I will endevour in the future to do better....

It was not my intent to have you think that I was name dropping... Instead ( after seeing you make a great deal out of people's statements - contrary to your own - without requisite back up information and sources ) I felt that it would be best to quote who my credible sources were before you took issue with me suggesting that you were wrong in your opinion....

On the issue of the psychoanalysis - I don't think you need to be a doctor to figure you out... My comments were not meant to upset you in such a way as to make you feel the need to defend yourself so strongly.... Truth be told, I find your posts and opinions quite refreshing....

Perhaps you could use your strong influences to have the Forum Masters upgrade the site to include a spell checker ??

Higuma, let me analyze your posting style now.

You want to post on a discussion forum but don't want discussion (that is, the clash of ideas and opinions). When I post a different opinion you question my motives and accuse me of hypocrisy. And you want to challenge somebody but don't want them to respond to your challenge. You want to have your cake and eat it.

As for back-up information and sources, I have no respect for that academic style which you see more and more these days where you just throw references at each other without really saying anything. And I don't believe I've said anything much that can't be substantiated independently by anybody who is curious enough to do so for themselves (although I have recommended a book that gives more background than most news media or info on the Web).

But perhaps this isn't the place to have serious discussions as it seems everybody is a bit too fragile for that ... weather's nice today ...

-----------------

Oh yes, and I have no more influence with the owners of this site than anybody else with a reasonable request to make.

• SnowJapan Admin

This is perhaps not the best thread to have this particular discussion, but just to add to what Ocean11 said there - as some other people have on occasion also commented or implied to us that he is either running this site or has some kind of extra special influence with us.

Ocean11 has really been very helpful to us in giving us ideas and comments, and we should all thank him for that! Apart from writing some great articles for the site, and of course posting rather frequently here on these forums, he has also very kindly taken the time over the last year or more to send us comments and ideas on how to improve the site. As have other readers. Indeed, some of his and other peoples ideas have ended up being part of the site that we have here, and we are very grateful for those ideas and feedback.

But anyone can do that at any time - we accept and welcome comments and suggestions from ALL of our readers, and actively encourage it (see this thread here http://www.skijapanguide.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=003826 ) - the more the better, if you ask us!

We'd like to take this opportunity again to thank everyone who has written to us with ideas. Please do keep them coming - if there is something you'd like to see on the site next season, tell us.... It may well end up being part of the site.

Thanks

oh yeah? Free beer for life just might buy some influence, eh? ;\)

On the war, some odd events happening:

suspected grenade attack by US soldier on US officers

Choppers crashing due to accidents.

It is suspected that a Patriot Missile shot down a RAF jet.

Napalm being deployed (not a strange event, just a surprise).

Missiles landing in Iran.

If the media are correct, it appears that the Iraqi military are yet to respond.

As for teh accidental deaths, they are probably expected (chopper crashed etc). I recal that when we would do multi-regiment training exercises (a few thousand people) that the planning always 'budgeted' for a few accidental deaths. These are probably even more likely during war.

Here's the other side of the 'candy from the troops' story;

------------------------

Civilians streamed out of Umm Qasr and the city of Basra. Reuters correspondent Rosalind Russell, south of Basra, watched dozens of trucks and battered cars pass, crammed full with household belongings.

Machinegun and artillery fire echoed behind them.

"There is fighting in the center, on the streets. It is terrible," said Hussein, a 24-year-old engineer who works for the state-run southern oil company in Basra.

"We don't want Americans here. This is Iraq."

One group of Iraqi boys on the side of the road smiled and waved as a convoy of British tanks and trucks rolled by.

But once it had passed, leaving a trail of dust and grit in its wake, their smiles turned to scowls.

"We don't want them here," said 17-year-old Fouad, looking angrily up at the plumes of gray smoke rising from Basra.

He pulled a piece of paper from the waistband of his trousers. Unfolding it, he held up a picture of Saddam, showing the Iraqi leader sitting on a throne with a benign smile.

"Saddam is our leader," he said defiantly. "Saddam is good."

British Defense Secretary Geoff Hoon when asked about Saddam possibly being dead (tried to quote as I was listening so may be a little off):

Quote:
I don't think it matters to us whether he is alive or dead. Our procedures will go on as previously planned whether he is alive or dead.

Sooo, uhh. I thought this was about getting rid of Saddam. Someone able to clear this up for me?

It's all ad hoc lies and excuses. These people in charge have no vision of the future, and will say anything that sounds good for the next 48 hours. So for this time period it's 'Saddam dead or alive'. This has followed a period of desperate wishful thinking that he was dead and that the Iraqis wouldn't resist and would come waving homemade flags.

It's crass and dangerous beyond belief.

What got me today after watching today was this.

America has G.... bay in Cuba. (sorry cant spell it) and they are keeping everyone locked in horrible cells with no rights. A couple of American soldiers who invaded another country are put on TV as POWs and the US govt. goes crazy.

Soldiers cheering the destruction of buildings and people.

To beat terror you have to hold the moral ground. Show people no give people hope. killing is no solution.

You cant ask for WMDs to be destroyed and then go ahead and make more than everyone else. To BE A LEADER YOU HAVE TO BE SOMEONE TO LOOK UP TO< LOOKING UP TO AMERICA MEANS OWN A GUN HAVE PEACE, NRA, MAKE THE MOST WEAPONS HAVE THE MOST POWER.

POWS

If anyone is interested, here is a link where you can get a live stream (video) of CNN on your computer at work. http://www.kgw.com You may have to sign in for the page (just make it up) but once you've done this you can click on the camera icon at the top middle of the page and get what CNN is broadcasting. FYI - this page is from a news network out of Portland, Oregon (my home state).

I realize CNN isn't the ideal network, but it's no worse than what I've been reading on BBC or Reuters. To question one source and then quote from another source with pure confidence that it is the truth is just stupid and very hypocritical. Okay, I'm getting off track now. Anyway, if you're interested, there you go.

Plucky, I'm not sure if that hypocritical barb was meant for me or not, but if it was, again there's been no hypocrisy from me. I haven't questioned one source and then believed another - I don't fully believe nor completely distrust any of the sources. My point in the case of the article introduced by Ray was not that the report was false but that the assumption that the Iraqi's welcome was sincere was likely to be false. Then I presented part of an article that tends to confirm that. Whether it's right or not I don't know, but it fits in with what I know of Iraq from reading books about it (by anti-Saddam Iraqis).

These are only little snippets of reports and opinions anyway and nothing much to build a big case on. But I think it will be found in the end that the Iraqis don't think of the US/UK as liberators.

Sorry about that Ocean. That was an unprovoked stab. I actually was reading another message board when I wrote that and something set me off. Plus, it was really early in the morning - hadn't had my coffee yet.

Uggghh, I think I'll turn this war crap off and put on some nice, relaxing Clash.