Unless you're absolutely sure of your job prospects for the next 20 or more years and have carefully assessed the seismic potential of your chosen area, I'd suggest that renting is the way to go. This area is said to have a 14% chance of a major earthquake in the next several years. I'm not sure I'd want to be paying for a house that may just fall down...

When I last visited England, I was amazed at how much people talk about house prices. I don't want to get like that. \:\(

Is rent really expensive over there?

Like if I wanted an apartment/flat with kitchen and living room, and 2 or 3 bedrooms, fairly new modern place - how much would that be per month in a) the city B) the country?

I really have no idea. Would be interesting to compare with the UK

2 or 3 bedrooms? Well, I reckon you'd be looking at 90,000 yen up, even in the country. If you're looking for space to spread out, then renting a house is generally cheaper than an apartment.

Will Lisa enjoy carting buckets of water from the bath to the washing machine in front of the house before she gets down to defrosting the damn thing?

Yeah its owned by the city council where I work. it used to be a house principals used but its pretty old and crappy so Im guessing no principals wanted to live there so I scored it. One of the best things is that its literally 30sec walk to work - it actually takes me longer to walk up the stairs to the 3rd floor where I work.

I would love to buy a place here, but yet to find a place for a mortgage that doesn't require a permenant resident status. The low interest rates, low prices and high rent here mean you can be earning/saving off your property immediately.

Quote:
Originally posted by cal:
Making it backwards?! confused.gif
backwards because any property close to the beach in OZ you would be paying thru the teeth for.. and here it seems opposite to that!

Rent, I too like zwelgen get a good subsidy from my city hall. A neat, 2 floor, fully detached house with small garden for a mere 22 thou yen.

not bad eh! can't wait for the summer BBQ's.