So yeah, I'm not going anywhere, but I need to get a re-entry permit for my next job (sketchy ?). But in any case . . .

1) where do I get one ?

2) how long does it take ?

3) any freaky idiosynchrasies associated with this proceedure, the way there is with so many proceedures ?

thanks,

BR

mad.gif

This procedure is a complete rip-off designed simply to 1) steal your money, and 2) keep some Japanese prat employed doing nothing. So apart from having your money taken off you for absolutely nothing in return, it's kept as painless as possible.

Go to the Immigration office in Nagano. It's in a shack amongst a bunch of prefectural offices on a slight hill. You should be able to find it easily enough.

You need your passport and your gaijin card, and I think, 6,000 yen if you want a 'multiple' rear entry permit.

When you have your permit and passport in your hand, be sure to ask the man why you have to pay money for nothing, tell him that you think it is nothing but a scam, and ask him if he is ashamed to be working in such a worthless job that contributes nothing to the general weal. They don't like that and they break out into an interesting trembling. If more people did it, the requirement would eventually disappear. You might also ask your employer to pony up the cash required, and get onto the 'Ministry of Justice' to register their disapproval of the persistence of this scam, especially in times of recession.

mad.gif

Umm I wouldnt get too stropy with the dude behiend the counter in Nagano because if its a tubby looking bloke he denied a chinese looking dude a permit when he was there. Not sure for what but still.

If you need clear advice go to ANPIE in the Nagano Pref office and they can point you in the right direction. Imagine Dennys is at your back and the pref office infront of you. Walk up that hill and its on your LHS a small building recessed from the road. Go fill out some forms, take your money to a building across the street and get a stamp from the 2nd floor and they stick on the paper. Take it back and wait for a while. If you get there earlier it doesnt take as long. They are shut 12-1 I think and shut at 4. It can take half an hr or a week depending on how busy they are and esp with golden week coming up there will be a few more punters in there so go early and take a good book. And enjoy the hostess and foreign brides because they are def a sight to see!

barok

It's up the hill on the left-hand side from the Prefectural Office heading towards Zenkoji. For some reason beyond my powers of logic, the entrance to the car park is marked by a large no-entry sign (must be symbolic) with a small sign saying immigration below it. It's also next door to a large courthouse. I think it closes for lunch. That's 12-1 or sometime around then.

You have to buy the payment stamp in the large building across the road. You can get a single one (3000) or an unlimited one (6000) valid for the period of your stay. From my experience at two other places, you always have to buy the stamp outside immigration. It's like pachinko, where you cash in your balls eek.gif round the corner.

Give em hell!

The real reason? I guess it's quite a simple way to make 6000 yen from the sale of a single postage stamp. It also serves the neat purpose of reminding foreign residents of their guest status.

Theres no reason for your reentry permit - employ some people here, remind the aliens that they arent free in this country...

It also pisses me off how they want you to have your gaijin card when you go overseas. I mean Ive got my passpost, Ive got my visa in there Ive got the stamp that says I have a gaijin card, got my reentry permit so why do I have to carry a piece of plastic crap around where Ill probably loose it? Last time the dude at emmigration bawled me out and said he shouldnt really let me go as I could be arrested for not having my gaijin card with me. I was packing myself until I realised hang on, Ive got my passport with all the details in it. What a ****er. Give em a uniform and suddenly they think theyre God. mad.gif

Hey whats this all about?

You saying I have to get some stamp that costs 6000 yen just so I can get back into Japan? Even if I have a valid visa/passport etc? What the f?

I'm plan to go back home for a few weeks in late May, but didn't know anything about this eek.gif

Thanks for the info - although all of y`all`s direx when put together are a little confuzled :p I get the jist of it. .

My employer said I need it because one of her employees had to leave for a funeral before he started working for her, but after he quit his last job, didn`t have a re-entry permit, and couldn`t get back in, or something. I dunno . . . I`ll let you know how it all turns out.

If you trust him then that sounds fine. I dont know of any but some people have left the country stupidly without one (yes I know its a crock). If you get it you can come and go as long as your VISA lasts. Best to get it when you have a new visa.