Anyone have one?

I consider myself fairly lucky with a 30 minute commute, but some of my colleagues have a 90 minute ride every morning and evening eek.gif I just couldn't do that.

I sometimes find the walk up the stairs from the breakfast room to the office quite grueling.

I used to have a somewhat long and grim commute from Suwa to a little town north of Matsumoto that involved a bike ride, two trains, and a long walk, although the scenery was OK. Even then, somehow you deal with it.

But the walk up the stairs is better...

I am about 30 sec walk away from my work. But the climb to the 3rd floor actually takes longer than door to door! 95 percent of the time its great but you cant pull a sickie and as a lot of people work here in the weekend they all know what I do and who stays. But its a small price to pay.

On another note, sometimes (just sometimes) I miss a commute, a chance to think about things, file your nails, learn some vocab, clear your mind etc. But like I said, just sometimes \:\)

1 hour from door to door for me. Train and Ikebukuro Stn. on the way so life is not easy in the morning.

I have trained myself not to actually fully wake up until I sit at my desk. I can then avoid all the annoying people and stuff in the morning.

Nothing like excercising your right to have a numb brain.

I have 30 minutes of hell each morning.

But a long commute is ok if there is a reason. I live in a pleasant area so I put up with the train cram each day.

For my least 18 months in Sydney I had to drive 30 minutes, walk 10, train for 45 minutes. It was more than worth it. The drive was stunning, through a national park that most people crowded to each weekend just to drive through. I enjoyed every mornings drive through there. It was also a bit of a twisty race track of a narrow raod so I would flog it each day and really get the buzz juice flowing. Nothing like pretending you are a rally driver to start the day.

I am thinking about moving to Yokohama and training to Tokyo for work. As much as I dislike suburban lifestyle, the suburban lifestyle is much better down there.

Once a month I consider moving into the city, 10 minutes from work, taxi morning and night. But then there is nowhere to walk my dog.

like O11 i have to limb 13 whole steps! But it is nice to sometimes get out of the house!

On the other hand my "other job" takes from 1.5-2hrs to get to the beach... thats hell! \:\(

I have an hr drive each way in the morning...

it sucks...the worst part is the damned construction that just seems to move up and down the road I use...

I pass the Nissin cup-noodle factory on my way every day...thre is a big, steaming hot cup-noodle towering over the road...also not far from a Mt. Rushmore pachinko parlor...exciting :p

danz

today i was late leaving, but after some dare devil traffic crossing when i missed a green light, i made it to work in 9mins. like to see someone do that in a car.

peace guys hippy.gif remember, bike when u can and save the planet. a car is too heavy to take everywhere with u.

An old gentleman befriended me at my gym and one day we were shooting the breeze.....he told me he worked in Kobe for 35years in a textile company while commuting from Eastern Osaka. 2hours each way!!!! 4hours a day 6 days a week for 35years!!!!! I asked why he didnt move to Kobe he said his wife didnt want to! to hell with that, she would be getting her ass to Kobe quick pronto if it were me.

Anyway think about that 4hours a day, times 6 times 50 times 35.......42000hrs standing, rarely sitting, on train

1750days

Thats nearly five years of his life standing on a train.....coz his wife didnt want to move to Kobe....unbelieveable.

Beat that for a lifetime nightmare commute!

I did the 2 hours each way stint for 6 months. Ruined my eyesight - reading for 4 hours a day I trained my eyes to only focus on things up close - or so my optician said. I enjoyed having forced reading tome - I always feel like I should be doing something else when reading at home during the day. After that, I managed to cut my commute down to less than an hour but that involved a 65,000 yen shinkansen teiki. Now just a 20 min drive from my house to the city.

I had a friend before who for 2 years commuted for 2 hours and 20 minutes to work - so that is nearly 5 hours a day. His journey was a 5 minute walk to station, then 2 trains (second one ALWAYs full), then bus and 10 minute walk. He was exhausted.

Not counting those (like Ocean 11) who work at home, I must have one of the shortest commutes to exist. From the door of my flat, to the door of my office, one storey down, just 13 steps and a full 25 seconds. Returning home takes a bit longer (by about 2 seconds) because I have to walk up the stairs.