karaoke is F U N, fun. yav just gotta find tha song thats right for YOU, then yar set! there is at least one song thats right for you.

its like anythin else thats fun- its what you make of it. sliding on tha snow is fun bcos you make it that way.

do tha same with tha big K, and you`ll have a ball.

just a thought... \:\)

I found i started to enjoy it a bit more when i learnt a couple of Japanese songs. The amusement of seeing a gaijin trying to sing a Japanese song seems to take the focus off my shocking voice!!

• 2 weeks later...

Karaoke is probably the one thing that I hate most about Japan and some other Asian countries.

I absolutely loathe and actively despise everything about it.

I never wanted to sing to my friends, or listen to them sing to me.

Even if I did, it would have to be original compositions, not crappy Casio-tone beat J-pop garbage, or drunken slurring to some Queen or Sinatra song.

And what's with the ear-piercing volume, the whiskey on the rocks, the thick cigarette-smoke-in-a-box, the forced gaiety...

I hate the way, after a nomikai, when all are milling around near the cash register, someone always says "How about a nijikai?" and someone replies "Oh, what a great idea...um, what shall we do?"

There is a moment of silence while everyone is presumably racking their brains for some idea, any idea of what we could all possibly do for a nijikai.

Inevitably, the lightning strike of inspiration reveals itself and somebody says in inquisitive tones, "What about karaoke?"

"OH FANTASTIC, II IDEA DESU NE! KARAOKE! KARAOKE NI SHIYO!!"

Heads immediately begin nodding as the greatness of this original idea dawns on the assembled partygoers.

Karaoke!

What an excellent idea!

Forget about going home to read a book or exercise, forget about going to a bar or a dance club, forget about a walk in the park or going to bed early or just saying bye-bye to be with, oh, I don't know, your wife and kids? Your fiancee? Your girlfriend? Your REAL mates?

I hate the way almost all pop music in Japan is intentionally made so that it can be whined by even the most tone-deaf karaoke goers...in the horrifically stunted, programmed, marketed world of J-Pop you'll find hardly any trained voices, original-sounding voices, singers with good pitch (i.e., non tone-deaf), non-nasal voices, etc.

Even most J-Pop singers are just doing karaoke in front of a mike in the studio, or with faceless studio musicians told what to play by some producer.

I hate the piercing whiney refrain of strange, totally incorrect and irrelevant English oddly placed in the middle of a J-Pop song that you sometimes hear through the glass at a karaoke box.

I hate the idea of having to pay thousands of yen for this torture.

I hate the dread of going out with company people because it will always end in the bully-boy showdown of everyone kowtowing to the kachou or buchou or some liver-spotted twerp who suggests karaoke when almost everyone would rather just get out of there.

And, I hate the feigned surprise when I reply to the question "Don't you like karaoke?" with the truth, "No, I don't..."

I really, really, really, REALLY hate karaoke!!

You don't need to hate Karaoke so much.

It's OK if people can enjoy it.

I used to enjoy Karaoke after nomikai, but I go home when my friends go to Karaoke now. I prefer chatting with my friends.

Croaky with Japanese people can be a real drag, but with some choice mates it can be fun.

You don't have to sing beatles songs, you can all sing at the same time even if you don't have a mike, nobody smokes (at least not in the box), it's cheaper than every alternative, most Canadians, Brits and Australians can actually sing quite well, and there's no need for forced gaiety with poppers.

But I hated croaky for years until I started refusing to go with certain types of people. Having said that though, a sing-song with a guitar and harmonica is always going to be more fun than with an empty orchestra.

When I first came here I learnt a simple Japanese enka and sang it badly, people had a good time laughing at me. I don't do that party trick any more.