I hate my bed, I want a new one. Does anyone know of a shop that sells western beds in Tokyo?

Before anyone suggests a futon, remember I am racist.

Same goes for those awesome pillows that you only get in hotels, I want some. I am sick of sleeping on pillows stuffed with what feels like pterodactyl feathers.

What about sheets? I am sure I could do better in the sheet department. Any recommendations on sheets? I heard Egyptian cotton was supreme, but so is the USD300 per sheet price tag.

In fact, any bedding advice and where to get it (in Tokyo or delivery from the net) would be groovy.

I am on a mission to find the perfect sleep.

hmmm, lambs wool underlay.

I am going to make my bed so comfy that sleeping will become a quasi-religious experience of enlightenment, to be repeated every night.

A chain called "nitori" sells furniture and homeware. Beds are western innersprung matress beds, its no "sleepyhead- elite sleeper with Torquezone" ( a superb NZ matress) but its good enough.

You can get solid bed linen there as well.

largest furniture importers ITC with branches in Tokyo, Osaka (nr WTC and Cosmo Square at Osaka Port), etc. Good quality, but really for long term. They have REALLY expensive stuff through to reasonable. The biggest selection you'll ever find though. Egyptian cotton sheets difficult to get here, I bought over internet from the linen company. 100% egyptian cotton - I never knew bedlinen could make such a difference. It is expensive though but should last years and years. For bedlinen in Japan, I love Etro (found in most good department stores) paisley patterns in ethnic shades. Soft and never a sleepless night since. I know a lot of people will baulk at the cost, but IT SOOOO MAKES A DIFFERENCE.

sharon:

Could you please provide me with a little more info.

I am having great difficulty finding any useful furniture buying info for ITC (International Trade Centre???). Do they have a retail shop front in Tokyo or are they a trade organisation?

thanks, db

db

ITC (actually IDC) is known in Japanese as Otsuka Kagu.

http://www.idc-otsuka.co.jp/

They have some funny membership scheme and an assistant goes around the store with you. Some people might like that, but it's not my preferred way to shop. They have English speaking staff I believe.

I've seen the shaped Tempur pillows at Loft and Tokyu Hands. Never tried em though.

db:

IDC is pretty expensive. They have shops in Shinjuku (near the South exit) and in Odaiba (the same station as Tokyo Big Site). I don't recall there being any membership fee, but you do have to give over all of your info. I agree with NoFakie: it's not a fun way to shop.

I have a Tempur contour pillow and I highly recommend it. Although I'm not a slipper man per se, I'm even considering getting the Tempur slippers; Like walking on clouds.

And if you really want to spoil yourself, there is a full size Tempur bed available too; I got to test-drive one at a furniture show last year. Not sure how supportive it is for bumping uglies though. ;\)

Otsuka Kagu is OK.

I prefer TIME & STYLE(Jiyugaoka) www.timeandstyle.com

or

CIBONE(Aoyama, Jiyugaoka) www.cibone.com

or

hhstyle(Jingumae) www.hhstyle.com

or

Franc franc(Everywhere) www.francfranc.com

There are many furniture shops in Aoyama, Jiyugaoka.

You'll find somthing nice there!

About sheets. I tried Garnet Hill www.garnethill.com

I have very good sleep with flannnel shets.

Have a good sleep!!

;\)

hey guys, great links there. Thanks for the info.

I know a girl who wants to spend all my money at FrancFranc.

Can any one tell me where in Tokyo this might be:

本社/〒113-0023 東京都文京区向丘2-28-12

http://www.sealy-bed.co.jp/welcome/top/index.html

There she is, the idol of my worship.....

imagePalatialCrest.jpg

The Sealy Palatial Crest. Costs about as much a a cheap car, but baby think of the bliss!

db: that's "Bunkyo-ku, Mukogaoka 2-28-12" It's near Tokyo University ("Todai"). You can get right near there if you go to Hon-Komagome station on the Namboku line.

That top mattress looks awful thick. \:\)

Hello Wizz, thanks for the salutation. By ethnic shades, I suppose I mean kind of autumn shades, burgundies, olives, natural shades. IDC, sorry about the gaff. I don't have a problem with filling in forms at Otsuka Kagu - you only do it the once, but when I go, unless I'm looking for specific advise, I ask to browse alone - no problem. You can also browse their catalogues and it is possible to order, just takes a few months for the stuff to be shipped. They have a huge selection though, and the stuff is regular western sizes, styles and quality - not like the barbie doll sized stuff from Tokyo Hands and Japanese Mail order (they were my staples when I lived singly, thinking it was short term and they are fine if youre only here for a little while). As I said, Otsuka really is for long term investment furniture - really good quality imported from all over. You can even get four poster beds with canopies and there was one sleigh bed by Ralph Lauren which cost a million yen. We actually bought our beds (queen for us and semi double for guests) from Dico - quite cheap iron frames but very good quality Sealy mattress - it is soooo comfortable, and hubbie can be practically trampolinig on his side and I stay still. But we will use it for a lifetime (well, as long as it lasts) so it was worth the cost.

Good luck bed shopping!

Quote:
Originally posted by Goemon:
:

I have a Tempur contour pillow and I highly recommend it. Although I'm not a slipper man per se, I'm even considering getting the Tempur slippers; Like walking on clouds.

And if you really want to spoil yourself, there is a full size Tempur bed available too; I got to test-drive one at a furniture show last year. Not sure how supportive it is for bumping uglies though. ;\)
Yes! Tempur pillows! They're heaven. Don't hesitate. Go out and get one. You won't regret it. I've been sleeping on them for 6 years now. I even got the travel pillow for travelling. You can get them from Tokyu Hands, probably Loft and I've seen them in other smaller and larger department stores. You can test them out at Tokyu Hands to find the right size and shape for you. I like both models - the one with the extra neck indentation as well as the original one (without).

As for Tempur slippers, I didn't know they had those! I'll have to check them out. I also have the back rest and cushion, though I found I prefer a harder base to sit on, so I don't use the cushion much. The back rest is great for driving.

Sunrise: They have the Tempur slippers at the Shibuya branches of Tokyu Hands and Bic Camera. Bic Camera is a little bit cheaper, especially if you have a store card (about 5,500yen).

My search continues. I found a bed shop just past the big fish market. So far it seems really hard to find a proper sized bed (queen or king size) that comes in one piece. I found a bed a really liked and asked for it in queen size. The only bigger width beads they seem to have are constructed by zipping/velcro-ing two single beds together!!