oh no, i just flipped out and started yelling at a van for parking out the front of my place at 8:55 in the morning and beginning blaring noise incessantly. i used some rude words too. then they politely spoke back to me (in english)to tell me it was the japanese way and they were allowed to do it 9 days a year. i of course, do understand it is the japanese way and it is not i who should impose my ways on them, but woken from a pleasant sleep and barraged with noise i couldnt reconcile myself to accept this intrusion and went psycho. ooops ignore.gif

sorry world notworthy.gif

It might be acceptable if they actually had something interesting to say.

yoroshiku onegaishimasu, wada desu, wada desu doesn't really amount to a manifesto or policy statement.

Do any of them have any policy? I never here it or see it anywhere.

Come on, does anyone hear "wada desu, yoroshiku onegai shimasu" and suddenly decide ok, I'll vote for Wada? I heard that many locals just vote for people they know or are friends of friends of..

We've had them all round today.

They even went as far as to say:

"Yaku ni tachimasu"

as well as the usual

"Sato desu, yoroshiku onegai itashimasu"

which was such a lovely promise to make.

I think my vote has swung to Sato.

Oops, I don't have a vote.

So SHUT UP!

• 2 weeks later...

"Its the Japanese way" my ass - more like its the japanese way to not complain that something is bothering you and therefore these bleeping idiots don't know people hate them for what they do.

Back in Okinawa, Momo's family owns a daycare center, and it never fails they drive by during the time when the children are power napping from noon to 2pm.

Fortunately up here in Misawa, our house in in the sticks off a dirt road and we don't hear them or bososoku.

I don't know anybody who likes these noisy vans. I swear that if any candidate ran on the platform of getting rid of them (or the bososoku I suppose)as his top priority, he'd get elected by a landslide.

Quote:
Originally posted by RayInJapan:
"Its the Japanese way" my ass - more like its the japanese way to not complain that something is bothering you and therefore these bleeping idiots don't know people hate them for what they do.
good show ol' boy. agreement from all me. next time i have need to shout at the annoying people might i partake in the use your line?

They've finished that crap down here thankfully. I had students round when they were going full-tilt and told them that sort of behaviour is illegal where I come from. They wished it was the case in Japan as well but couldn't understand how parties would make themselves and their policies known to the electorate otherwise. UMMMM.. how about TV,radio ,public meetings/debates at inside venues, and pressing the flesh on the streets?

However driving around in a van with a loudspeaker and waving at people with those weird white gloved hands is the way things are done here.

They do it because they can't trust themselves not to give little packets of money to the voters. That's the trouble with door-to-door canvassing you see - the temptation would be too great.

It bothers me too. If someone pulled that stunt in Australia you would let them know what you thought about the rude invasion of peace on your street. In Australia I would honestly stand in front of the vehicle, regardless of which party and what their policies are.

Not here, as Ray (g'day Ray) says, it is just another crap 'Japanese way' that exists because no one ever speaks up.

I really do not know if I will last in Japan until the next snow season.

I saw a van yesterday that didn't even have a live person waving; they had one of those plastic hands suction-cupped to the back window waving back and forth. Am I supposed to vote for the van?

Is there any law that prevents me from riding next to them with a moped and an even louder loud-speaker blasting hip-hop? "FLAVOR FLAV DESU! MINA-SAMA: YOROSHIKU ONEGAISHIMASSSSSSSSU, boy!" cool.gif

gotta agree with it being the J way not to complain!

They come around between 4-6pm and with so many of them in the same area at once you would never know who's who.

If I didn't have a business in the area i would give em a few eggs or tomato's...(but tomatoes r too exy here to waste!)

as for their POLICY I was under the impression that it was "ARIGATOU GOZAIMASU...YOROSHIKU ONEGAISHIMASU!"

I've detected a hint of policy emerging from the Nagano council elections and Suwa mayoral elections...

The council members are going to form a 'chekku kinou' - a checking function to obstruct the Governor, while the mayoral candidates are going to work their little hearts out on 'machizukuri' - the vaguest imaginable term presumably meaning making a nice town to live in. Seeing as they're all going to do that, voting will pretty much be a matter of pin the tail on the donkey.

It might be an interesting experiment to go out and deface every single election poster with the word 'Bollocks!'. It would then be up to cub reporters at the local TV stations to find out first, what 'bollocks' means, and then to attempt an assessment of what sort of person would write that, and why. It would be the profoundest political statement uttered in a month of complete nothingness.

Man they are really out in force now. I live on a kind of out of the way street - but not too out of the way because they drive by once every 10 minutes. I can hear one in the distance now!

I think the funniest is when two are near each other and they start to speak up even louder. "Don't listen to his yoroshiku...my yoroshiku is more heartfelt!"

Gees, there a bit rude out your way. Near my place its always a "yoroshiku onegai mo shagimasu" (sp?) Yes please!

Am i the only immature nearly 30 year old who always gets a giggle out of "mo shagimasu"?

The elections are coming to a close here thank you very much. Ocean the funny thing is, is that the Nagano Governor is the only one with any policies. Government in Japan is like big retirement fund you get in and say "show me the money".

here's the 411 guys,

it's legal for these vans to cruise around with their megaphones on officially from 8.00 am to 8.00 pm. i got to work at 8.00 this morning and yep, at exactly 8, it all started. Could have set my watch to it. gotta luv the rigid nature of japan sumtimes, anyway, it'll all be over in a week or so.