What gets your vote as "most overused Japanese"!

by women: "so desu neeeeee"

by men: "eeee eeee eeee eeee eeee"

perhaps not the most used, but the most annoying when japanese men are on the phone and they, i suspect, are saying "ee" repeatedly to perhaps demonstrate that they are listening. It ends up sounding like a guttural droning noise that I don't know how to type.

Come to think of it, oyshii (spelling? ... delicious) is well over used on tv. My Japanese teacher tells me it is the only adjective to describe food that I really like. I suppose in English there are not many adjectives that describe flavour, but that doesn't mean I can't say "this is amazing, it tastes really really good".

It seems that there is a certain formula that must be applied when commenting on either food or the weather when in Japan.

sugoi! samui! atsui! ooshi! nani , nanyatake (osaka ben for "let me think..what was that") anoo na, couple of these classics and you can have a high level conversation.

too right! I swear that every time i talk to a certain girl at work all she says to me is:

"atoo nan de eto ne nani honto dakara ima sugoi ne"

even one japanese guy have been known to ask "Junko, what the hell are you trying to say?"

ooh ooh me me!!! I just thought of the most useless overused and consequently meaningless and stupid saying.....otsukare sama deshita.

you bend over to pick up a pencil....otsukare

you take a squealer in the toilet.....otsukare

you sign in at the gym................ostukare

students book or sign in for lessons...ostukare

You finish anything at all.............ostukare

;\)

also the said word for exerting yourself, westerners go

"uumpf" or "eryagggh" or some other grunt. here the make a word "yoisho"

sit down................yoisho

stand up ...............yoisho

pick up your bag .......yoisho

lean over...............yoisho etc etc naughty.gif

How about daijobu?

The first time I came to Japan and did a couple of homestays.

I get in the car... daijobu?

I sneeze... daijobu?

I eat some food...daijobu?

I am watching tv... daijobu?

The same things happen if I spend a day with japanese people, esp older people. But at the same time, maybe its nice that they care. \:\) ahhh \:\)

For me it has to be ney. Oshii ney, Autsuii ney, Kawaii ney, kowaii ney, so desu ney, so da ney, omshiroii ney, musukashii ney, taihen ney, ney ney ney.

I once heard a conversation between four women during hanami season. It went something like this.

W1 Kirei ney

w2 so desu ney

w3 ney

w4 ney

w1 so ney

w2 ney

w3 sore wa oshii ney.

w4 so desu ney

w2 so ney

w124 ney

How about maji de. I was told when I first started studying that if I learned that I could get through just about any Japanese conversation. For some reason it still makes people laugh when I give a big "maji de???"

...maybe I am saying it wrong.

Obachans like to giggle and say aaahh sou ka. at least in kansai, They are quite pushy too. Last week one elbowed a young student of mine in the head just to get by. The student was only 6 and was scared sh..less

yoroshiku onegaishimasu - when you meet someone - but you gotta repeat it at least 3 times

yoroshiku onegaishimasu - when you say goodbye to someone - again repeat at least twice.

iisho - (sp?) - the sound of exerting one`s self

arigato gozaimasu - at least 7 times when you are leaving any conbini, restaurant, or whatever

wakarimashita - long and nasal and drawn out - gives me the crawls

and yeah . . .

otsukare - after you do anything - really - I`m not that exhausted.

now here`s my super pet peeve - my new boss is a Canadian woman who has become a naturalized citizen, good for her, whatever. She speaks Japanese well, although I still understand everything that she is saying - it`s just that her fluency is there. But even when there are no other Japanese people around she makes a point of saying all of these stupid things over and over and over . . .

"iisho" till she is blue in the face mad.gif

barok

I really think thats what you get if you are totally immersed into another society and another language for a long time, and most of the people around you are Japanese. I know a few people who are like that, but they aren't doing it on purpose - just what they have become!