Oh why lord is there no daylight savings in this blessed nation????why cant mere mortals enjoy one extra hour of glorious sunlight in the evening? why must the sun come up at 4am and set at 6:30 in summer?

do you also wish there was daylight savings time in Nippon?

Quote:
Originally posted by akibun:
What is it?
akibun, DST - Daylight Savings Time is where in summer you put clocks foward 1 hour to make better use of the sun. In Japan in summer it gets dark at about 7pm. If you have DST it gets dark at 8pm, one more hour to sit in a beer garden, go for a walk, etc.
In summer in Japan the sun comes up at 5am which is no good because no one gets up at 5am and its a waste. so with DST the sun would come up at 6am instead. wakatta Akibun?

having no DLS time is good for getting a surf in before work, but then tokyo is the wrong city for that.

No DLS is crap. Yet another thing that will make me dislike life here. I need therapy.

I love DLS.

I believe that if we had daylight savings here people would work longer until it was dark because that what they are used to!

Anyway with that extra hours its not like you can stay out in the surf longer after work because you still wouldn't be able to reach it b4 dark..

on the bright side, i works most days 4pm-6pm so If i get to bed early, up at 3am I can be in the water by 430am and have 2 or 3 surfs before setting back home...

• 5 months later...

I see NZ is changing to DLS again this weekend.....sigh I miss DLS

More interestingly

" The only major industrialized country not to have introduced daylight saving is Japan."

good ole obtuse Japan is holding out.

also a strange one is China!

" China has had a single time zone since May 1, 1980 observing summer DST from 1986 through 1991; they do not now."

Interesting is not the fact they ditched DSL interesting is they only have only ONE time zone!in such a massive country.

Mid Winter

West - rises at 9:43 AM sets 6:43 PM

East - rises at 7:08 AM sets 4:09 PM

Mid Summer

West - rises 6:30 AM sets 9:46 PM (luckily quite normal)

East - rises 3:53 AM sets 7:11 PM

West is Urumqi, East is Jilin, both Northern cities on similar lattitude for parity)

that is massive disparity, the sun rising at 9:43! screw that especially when in New Dehli at the same longitude its 7:10am. Walk across the border into India and step back in time 2 1/2 hours!

China is crazy.gif

db, don't even try to pretend DLS aids international financial transactions!!!

Internationally, DLS is nothing but confusing, as one is constantly having to consider the time status of other countries.

And yes, just numbers, one more set to add to the equation in international business.

That is indeed my exact point. They are not just numbers, they are real time differences that are a pain in the backside. I like DLS from a lifestyle perspective but work wise it is a hassle.