URGENT: shipping your gear back home.

Well, its been a fun year, but time to head home.

Anyone know shipping companies that will ship snowboards or skis internationally? I looked into the postal services, but my board is too long. Looked into Fedex and UPS, they dont seem to have ground shipping.

I wont need my gear for another half a year, so trying to find ground shipping or anything thats as cheap as possible to ship my board back. If its too expensive, maybe I will just leave it here.

By the way, this is from Japan -> Canada.

Thanks in advance.

If you are flying straight home you can bring it on the plane. If it is over the checked in allowance they will charge you about 12 000 yen I believe but that it is still cheaper than most shipping companies. Of course don't take my word for it as I would hate you to have a shock at the airport.

Chris.

is 12000 yen for extra piece of luggage, or for now meeting restriction?

Last time I heard, for overweight luggage they charge by the kg its overweight. I feared that they charge by the cm thats overlength of snowboard eek.gif

the secret is that jared never travelled before \:D LOL

Sorry, just couldnt resist.

I know that international flights allow only 2 packages into the cargo area, and 1-2 pieces of hand carry items.

But do anyone know how they charge if I bring in a 3rd piece in the cargo area? Maybe I should just wrap my snowboard onto my suitcase with duck-tape. hahah.......

Theres a lot of luck involved and timing.

I always have had about 30-40kg in my suitcase coming back to Japan and until last year NEVER got charged or even questioned. But they asked for $600 this time, and didn't back down.

Cue me taking chocolate, soup, baked beans, etc out of the suitcase in front of check in and hundreds of other people.

\:\(

ive got away with over 40kg before too. huge backpack plus big snowboard case with two snowboards. but its nerve racking as hell going to the counter. a friend went back to canada last year with 60kg with no extra charge! it depends on your airline policy and the day. a friend flying britania was stopped leaving oz at 3kg over confused.gif , causing her to discard clothing.

but i am very interseted in finding out about posting/shipping, cos i got a computer, books and maybe some furniture thats gonna follow me home so keep up the detective work.

A friends boyf just went back to the UK on Saturday with 60kg and they wanted him to pay 12man eek.gif ! He only had 3man on him and they made him pay it all and got really shirky about the luggage. In my opinion its not worth the stress. Ive found that leaving Japan they are tougher than coming in to Japan.

Tears have been known to work

When you think about it, they should be strict - otherwise the planes wouldn't be able to take off \:\)

I think we are bad offenders here though - going out of Japan we want to take as much as possible, coming back in we're loaded down with food and other "home things".