Whistler for resort access has good skiing till june I think even some high storms sometimes and the park.

Mammoth and Squaw stay open late but for the most part if you want to ride you have to climb glaciers.

Not to be picky barok, but it's only a snowfield on Mt Hood and not a glacier \:\) Just a snow depth thing. The Palmer snowfield at Timberline Ski Area is a blast to ski in the summer. It's closed for two weeks in the early fall for lift maintenance and the such. If Hood has had a good snow year, there is a ton of accessible terrain only a short hike away from the top of the magic mile lift.

There is year-round skiing on many of the mountain glaciers in the Cascades in the NW US also, many with reasonable hikes in. The Three Sisters area in Central Oregon is a really popular spot for this.

Some investors are looking into a glacier near Panerama Ski hill in BC. Its called the Jumbo glacier and will have year round skiing.

I have done a few days on the Blackcomb glacier during the summer. Lots of fun although riding the t-bar gets tiring. And snow is super sloppy as public an only go in the afternoon. In a good snow year though you can still ski in Sudan area.

Also skiied Mur Snowfield on Rainier in mid August a few years ago. Suncups the size of Volkwagons. My old touring ski popped off and flew down the mountain nearly going over a huge cliff onto the glacier below.

But if you want year round powder you have to go to southern hemisphere in the summer and then back north in the winter.

That looks pretty cool Toque. Reminds me a lot of the terrain I skied in Alaska. I wish they had some terrain maps or at least a good contour map of the area with proposed skiing areas and lifts to look at. From what I see in those pictures, there wouldn't be a high percentage of skiers or boarders out there who could safely handle that type of glacial terrain. I'm also curious as to where they plan to anchor the lifts and on what. Lot's of questions racing through my mind about this. I'll have to read the full report and digest it at home. I wonder if they need any professionally trained map makers who have a Masters degree in glacial geomorphology. That would be a kick ass job!

Also, that 'small snowpatch on Hood' has more vertical than many resorts in Japan and also has more skiable acres - just to put it into perspective ;\)

CRA.jpg

Just to save you some time. Super big map.

Never really thought about lifts. But on the Horstman glacier at Blackcomb they have T-bars going right up the glacier.

I had an unsuccseful climb of hood two years ago in October. (couldn't get past the burgshcrungd)

But the snowpatch was pretty small then. You had to carry your skis for both getting on and off the chair and for more than a few steps.

And so I'm guessing you have a Masters degree in Glacial Geomorph. Pretty cool. I wish my school had had more glacial stuff. Always my favorite. I just have a general geog dregree.

WOW! thanks for the map! Damn, if this ever goes through........ It looks incredible! I just got home so haven't read through the documents yet. They'd have to do this in stages I'd assume. This is one ambitious project. Thanks for the link and the map Toque! I'm keeping an eye on this.

Hood's a great mountain to climb. I've only summited once, but have climbed up to the bergschrund on a few occasions and skied down to Timberline Lodge. Haven't done much on the north side except climb some of the aretes to the glacial headwalls. Did that for small studies in school mostly.

Yea, the Palmer Snowfield is going to have problems sustaining itself in coming years. It's definately shrinking and quickly. Since they do a lot of ski race training and now park training and camps, it's kind of boring unless you know where to go (meaning most of the east side is closed off). There are some great glacial outwash canyons to the east that are fun to drop in to and some stuff higher up if you want to do a little climbing. All in all, a great time. Not too many places you can ski in a T-shirt in August. Well worth it for a day trip.

yeah, have my MS in glacial geomorph (under the heading of physical geog). Got my BS in physical geo. Had a blast doing that MS - how many people get to ski all summer long in Alaska for their thesis research? \:\)