I lived in Tenma, Osaka, for 5 years. First 2 years were quite exciting, especially after I watched Brack Rain and imagined all these bad people running around.

But for the last 3 years, I got tired of the dirt, the cockroaches, the lines of lorries parked outside my apartment all night with their engines running, the smog, the bosozoku, the cicadas and mosquitoes. Moving to Shiga was such an eye-opener after rotting in the city for so long. Shiga was good because you have the delights of the country, but Kyoto is only 14 minutes away by train.

The eating and drinking is good in Osaka though.

I agree in many ways Rach-always love going out to Kobe for a look around and dinner. We did consider moving there but we work in central Osaka so that's where we moved after languishing for awhile in the "pleasant yet dull" northern suburbs.

I live about 10 minutes bike ride from Triangle park close/far enough from the centre of town for my liking. There's plenty to do and I've been having a good laugh here since the snowboard season finished (for me that is). Osaka is fine for me-just wish it was closer to Nagano.

I never used to like going to Kobe much - it always seemed a bit snotty in comparison with Osaka, and all the posers we knew in Osaka couldn't wait to get to Kobe on the weekend and ... and ... drink coffee!

In the kansai area you get so many good choices. Osaka for the city. Kobe for good food and imports. Kyoto and Nara for culture, history and nature. Shiga for biwa and the view.

Went climbing today with the inlaws. The starting point was only 10 or 15 mins drive from my house. great little outside coffee stand, buy mochi get free coffee and the view was nice. Temple half way up the mountain. Saw flowers that take 50 years to bloom. yes 50

I lived in Osaka for a year. I lived in Suita and by sheer coincidence the lady that sits across from me at work lived there at the same time and we used to use the same train stn! What are the chances?!

I was a student so poor(ish) and lots of study to do, but we used to go out every few weeks and I reckon a night in Osaka is always always more epic than a night in Tokyo. Great tabehodai/nomihodai resturants and I liked going to Kobe to max on beaches and enjoy the different atmosphere or Kyoto to rark it up with mates. I liked Osaka for the location, so close to everywhere, intl airport not too far away and lots of people to see, but honestly I think Id rather live in Nagano, even though its boring sometimes, IMHO I feel I have a better quality of life here.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm due to arrive in Osaka on Tuesday and have been told it's the "Birmingham of Japan". Now, I don't know how many of you guys and gals have ever been to B'ham, but for those that have is this a fair description?

I mean B'ham is literally all smog, drizzle, Kebab shops and decrepit rail transport! Though it has got a great Bangra and Drum and Bass scene, somehow I can't see this being the case with Osaka!? confused.gif

Any replies would be very welcome, though do bear in mind that I'm just a country bumpkin, who still chews straw and REALLY likes his animals….

animals... \:D

• 3 weeks later...