I was just reading the PC crash thread and thinking I should back up my PC data more often than I do. I'm embarrased to say how infrequently I do. Am I the only one - how often do you backup?

WinXP automatically makes system restore points on a regular basis so it isn't to important to back up any operating system files. A good reinstall every now and then makes for a little variety and clean livin anyway.

I mainly back up my Outlook .pst file, any new documents I have created, any work/art I have made, anything I have downloaded that I really want to keep.

On my notebook (only computer I have now) I just burn a cd. I also have an external HDD I can do quick back-ups to. But that thing is more likely to go down than my notebook, so I don't rely on it heavily.

On my old pc(s) I used to run redundant drive arrays, so I wouldn't worry about it there often. If one of the drives died I would just replace it and rebuild the array, delivering all data intact and still redundant.

Go into system help (F1) and run a search on "system restore" for more information. Basically it will allocate a chunk of your hdd for these backup points. It tracks all OS changes (like overwriting system files or installing drivers) so that you can step backwards if something gets messed up. Of course this won't help much if your hard drive crashes, but it is awesome in case of software problems.

My notebook went dead a couple of months back - absolutely no sound at all, whatever I did it just sat there and refused to do anything.

Luckily the next day it turned on ok, but I was really worried for a while.

Stupid things.

mad.gif

After a really bad experience a year or so back, when I lost a lot of data, I do a backup of my data once a week.

It's definitely worth it, folks, believe me.