you know whats getting me down??

...shoes.

i dont think i can really be happy if i'm forced to wear shoes all the time.

a life without shoes is a happy life. \:\)

herein lies my envy of dolphins.

mikazooki, there is a tyranny of shoes. Half of my 'professional' life was a war, sometimes Hot sometimes Cold, with my employers over the issue of my not wearing them.

Now I am a free man, there's no need for them when, well, there's no need for them. (Hell, it's not like the Japanese used to wear shoes and suits now, is it?)

job mainly, but today was warm enough to venture into the great unknown shoeless, however, i feel strangely conspicuous if i express said behaviour here. if not least because i have nothing to take off when entering houses, including my own.

but its a all encompassing generalisation. the happiest times of my life are dominated by shod free eras.

i love to feel the ground.

I love being shoeless too. The only time i wear shoes is at work and even then i take them off every now and again. I go to the shops shoeless, dirve shoeless everything. Love it.

Although in winter i do like like walking around in my good old uggies. They come close to walking around in bare foot.

bravo! bravo! shoes are unnatural and screw your feet up,millions of years of evolution came up with the current design and now we screw it up but whacking on a pair of shoes. Remember Abebe Bikila? the great Ethiopian runner? Zola Budd? now those guys knew where it was at!

In my university days I used to go to school barefoot in summer.....free and easy...ho hum used to tote a pair of flip flops/thongs/jandels in my bag for emergency.

Summers as a kid barefoot....ah the days, pissing off my mum for running in the house with black soles....

i like being barefoot too, but what gets me is just not being able to buy shoes in japan!! i can buy men's sneakers fine, but i long for the cute, pointy, heeled, super painful, shoes j chicks always wear. i want to get snazzy for the weekends, but my sneaks are holding me back \:\(

Quote:
Originally posted by nekobi:
i want to get snazzy for the weekends, but my sneaks are holding me back \:\(
nah sneakers rule! they must be infinitely more comfortable than womans dress shoes. There is something about a chick who wears sneakers that sayes shes cool and where its at!

I once ribbed an Irish colleague of mine for her sensible shoes, but she came back and said "Well when I take my shoes off, I don't have corns and bunions all over them like some Japanese girls!".

Too true...

Oh the days of walking everywhere barefoot, mincing over a hot road barefoot, soles as tough as leather by the end of summer. Still jandal/flip flop lines are cool too. Slip ons bring it on!

And Nekobi does look very cool in her trainers. Boots with a stacked heel, girly high heels etc have their time and place but if you cant go hard all night in them then whats the point.

Enough of shoes (or not).

I like being able to control the temperature in my work environment. No stupid refrigeration to mid-winter temperatures in the summer time. I can open the windows and let the wind blow through my office and up my shirt (if I'm wearing one).

Quote:
Originally posted by kamoshika:
nah sneakers rule!
yeah, i love my sneaks, always wear them dancing, but they just dont always look so great with a skirt. thats where the cute shoes come in.

in summer i am incapable of wearing a shirt inside... i disrobe in the abodes of others. fortunately most of these houses are not offended by such behaviour, but now i do it without thinking. eg at my gf's mums house in japan... but now its accepted behaviour there too \:\)

Quote:
Originally posted by db:
what is a jandal?
A jandal my friend is trademark name of the most famous NZ brand of flip flop sandels, I belive Ozzies call them "thongs" god only knows why.

But shops cant advertise them as jandals unless they really are Jandels brand. just like you cant call inline skates "rollerblades" unless they really are rollerblades brand which is TM.

Kamo - when i was at uni i did the same thing. Went bare foot and had a pair of thongs in my bar for justin. They very rarely made an appearance though.

Ocean - you like not wearing shirts too huh? In summer i go days without waering a shirt. I probably should though as I don't really have a body to show off.

Thongs are an Australian icon.

Cheap blue on the bottom/white on the top rubber number from K-mart. Can't go wrong.

It is called a thong as it comes up between your toes like a g-string goes between your ..... and a G is also called a thong (god knows why).

Try going barefoot here and you'll raise a few eyebrows. I've gotten so unused to the sight that it suprised me to see some guy wearing no shoes in a shop when I last went home. Of course that may have had something to do with the fact that it was winter.

Even though I'm sad to say goodbye to winter I am looking forward to dusting off my jandels. Skateboard shoes are the most comfortable things to wear on your feet IMO.