• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good Pizza. Japan sucks at Pizza where I live at least. Also, a good salad. There is no need to put anchovies or fish eyes in a good chef salad. The Caesar's suck over here too. It's hard being veggie in Japan.

Proper fruit, proper meat. Variety and range to choose from. I miss these things.

People seldom agree with me on this (and I can understand why they initially question my opinion), but the selection of seafood in this country SUCKS. Certainly the seafood that makes it to my local outlets is bad. But then, I have been to quite a few coastal seafood markets and the range is still crap.

For a country that eats 1/5th of the worlds annual fishing haul, there is not a great deal of selection. Whats more, the popular fish here would be used as bait, burley or garden fertilizer in Australia.

Sorry Japan, but you do not know fish like you think you do.

(the oysters here are awesome though, so are Japanese cucumbers).

I have more whinging to do today.

Rach, I am not sure from which country you hail. At the risk of getting all nationalistic about my fruit....

buying fruit here is the typical un-natural experience that I have come to know Tokyo by.

A fuit shop in Australia is the size of the biggets supermarket I have seen here.

For example, apples: At home you get table after table of apples piled up. Each table is a different variety. For each variety you can pick from natures own shapes and sizes. For example, the good old Granny Smith apple. At home I find the groaning Granny Smith table and can then fill my bag with the ones that I want - large, small, very green, waxy thick skin, older softer skin, etc etc. I like to smell and feel my fruit before I buy it.

Same goes for grapes, melons, stone fruits. The list goes on. Big peaches, small peaches, peaches that are not quite ripe, but that will be perfect by the time breakfast roles around tomorrow morning.

Picture piles and piles of fruit. Fruit that you can smell the moment you approach the shop.

The fruit here is engineered then carefully selected so that only the so called perfect shapes and colours make it to the shelf, where they are individually wrapped. When you get home you find that, although nice enough, they are deviod of real flavour and no fruit aroma.

I have to repeat: compared to Australia, the fruit here is boring, un-natural and the range is crap. It is over priced. Shopping for it is like shopping in the car care section at a DIY shop.

I firmly think that Australia is one of the worlds meccas of fruit (and seafood).

Yeah, you can get the culture here. Just mix it with milk, leave it out for a while then stick it in the fridge and wait. When you've nearly finished it, add more milk and repeat.

Really, you ought to make the yoghurt bacteria pay for the privelege of using your body and refrigerator as a host.

db, can i suggest you avoid the big Supers when it comes time to buy your fruit and veg and start hunting round for those little places run by 90 year old women with bad backs....there are gems to be found!

One of the main things my aussie partner loves about Japan is how tasty the fruit is compared to Australia. Sure you get a larger selection there, but the fruit here just tastes amazing.

That's just one Aussie opinion (oh, and her mum thinks so too), not mine. I've learned long ago not to make any derrogatory comments about Australia! ;\)