• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i hope my resume qulifies me to comment?

i`ve seen several war movies, including platoon, breaker morant, apocolypse now (tha directors cut) and top gun. i did some chippy work at Sale RAAF base, driven past Pakapanual on more than one occasion, and been chased off Quarrentine by Milatry Police when we trespassed whilst going for a surf. i even went to a strip-night that was organised by me mates brother who`s a salior. AND, i`ve read `all quiet on the western front` (only bcos i had to, i might add).

klingon, i don`t rekon they`re heroes! i don`t think taking another humans life is anyone`s right...or duty...or job...or...

how about this one: if everyone refused to go to war, we wouldn`t have war.

just a thought.

I'm sure there are some isolated cases of "heroics", but that doesn't mean all of them who just go there are.

I really agree with what Ocean11 said about the Iraqis too.

Do you class many of them heroes too, plucky?

we won't hear from plucky again until he gathers enough anger.

Regarding WWI, anyone read the diaries kept by the non-combatant, Mr C.W. Bean. He carried his typewriter through the trenches at Galipoli and then onto other wonderful places like the Somme. Puts to shame any shit you will hear from Fox and their embedded what ever you call them.

Glad to hear other peoples comments on this topic - I was beginning to wonder about what I'd asked there and if it really was the Most Insulting Question Ever . Certainly wasn't meant to be, neither was it sarcastic. ;\)

There are a lot of pictures available online of dead and injured Iraqi children. If you once look at them, you'll find it hard to think of the coalition forces as heroic. The pictures of the dead have been suppressed very effectively in the mainstream media, so it's all too easy to think of our boys as saviours when in fact they're not.

Calling people 'hero' is to a very large extent a political act anyway. People with differing political views are unlikely to agree on who is a hero.

Scousers question: "do military types get paid much?"

Can't speak for other countries, but US Military doesn't get paid much. The majority of military members get paid a low enough amount that they're eligible for special government tax credits and many also get subsidies for food.

In the end though, I doubt anyone in any military anywhere gets "paid enough" when you consider their "job" is to be ready to give their lives in the defense of their country if necessary.

Quote:
Originally posted by Plucky:
Thanks xxx, I do what I can. You would get a little pissed off too if one your friends who had died came up in such a sarcastic way. klingon talks about heroes, but who is there to do it? Him? You? I might have to go. Basically, all you chard noppers who never have to sacrifice a thing in your life ( you ****ing pussies) join this and let's go! Basically, **** you, eat shit, and screw the **** off.
i feel ya bro, i am enlisted and have friends out there too

Plucky man I have sat back and read your shit for too long. Dude you just dont get it do you. Going to war for your country doesnt make you a hero. If you save your buddy then your a hero to him or her but are you a hero to the man you just killed. Chickeninmotion you too are just an idiot. What is a hero really. One can be a hero somewhere and somewhere else the greatest ememy. People who risk there lives every day and dont kill people for a living are my heros. enlisted men who follow blind orders will not ever be heros. If you believe in god, those people wont see heaven either, he does not justify war. An Eye for and eye a tooth for a tooth. The US sure killed a hell of a lot of people. For whom the bell tolls.

Military types don't get paid much, but especially in the US, they pay themselves in ego.

"Hey, we're all heroes, us. We do the tough work that nobody else can do" (that is, the tough work that shouldn't be done that way in the first place, and that a lot of normal people don't think should be done that way.)

You military types who think you're all so tough and heroic haven't anywhere addressed the moral aspect of your 'heroism' in anything approaching an adult fashion. Way to go.

Fattwins, you think the US went to Iraq just to "kill a hell of a lot of people" and that's all they did? What about liberating a country from the rule of a tyrant. I think in the long run history will tell us this was a good thing. How many more would have needlesly died had the regime gone on for another decade or two? What did your beloved Canada do to help the poor people of Iraq or any country that needed help for that matter???

Kintaro, there's a moral difference (obscured at the moment by just about everybody, I know) between Saddam killing a load of Iraqis and the US and the UK killing a load of Iraqis. In the first case, the fault would be his. In the second case, the fault would be ours.

It would also be our fault if Iraq fell into chaos or another dictatorship because our haste to go and kill a load of people interfered with making a coherent and workable plan for the country. Funny how people from the US always call going and killing a lot of people 'helping them'. How many dead civilians and dead soldiers is one dead Saddam worth? (I admit that there is a possibility of good coming from this war, but I don't think for a moment that the end justified the means.)

What gets me is that the military seems so untouchable. You can't even suggest anything without being accussed of being anti-this anti-that, and it's really tiring.

Just look at this thread. The holier-than-thou thing just turns me off soooo much.