(I don't mean to offend anyone but), why are people taking part in and returning from war being called "heroes"?

I don't get it.

Aren't they just doing their job? Why do some people call them heroes?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't matter if you agree or disagree with the war, but the people coming back have led a tough life. They have been ordered to do something that most of us can't even comprehend. In the view of the US, this is to liberate Iraq and promote democracy. In finishing and completing their mission, they are heroes in a way. Would you step up to the plate and do what these men/women have done? This is why.

I don't condone it, I'm just giving the reason that a normal US or UK family will see the situation as. Some of these guys have been truely heroes in a sense, many have just been there. Don't listen to the media and decide for yourself

If they were called up to do this against their will, I can better understand.

But it is their job. Did they not join knowing that something like that might happen.

confused.gif

I can't see any heroes.

That's not really the point- yes, it is there job to protect the country. War is one of the last things that they think about. Nobody joins the military thinking they will end up in a combat zone. I think you have some underlying feelings about the war.

So, in your view, those guys back in the 40's who fought for the liberation of Europe - just doing their jobs? Some heroic stuff went on as it does today. It's hard to do anything heroic from behind a computer that you sit at for 8 hours a day. Again, most of it is overblown. The POW's that got caught cause they took a wrong turn - heroic? hell no. Lucky to be alive.

What exactly are you asking?

I'm not on about the 40s.

I am talking about the current Iraq war.

"War is one of the last things that they think about. Nobody joins the military thinking they will end up in a combat zone."

Hmmm. So what do they think they are going to do? And do they not consider that possibility??? confused.gif That sounds really strange.

Anyway.. cool.gif

First of all, where are you from? "the empire" would lead me to believe the UK. But, it really doesn't matter. I think we are on the same page. I dont see a lot of these guys as 'heroes' either. But, many of them have done stuff you can't even imagine. I've gotten many emails from friends over there where all they did was give out MRE's, give out medicine, carry a wounded Iraqi from the battlefield. I would call that heroic. It's about what individuals do, not what the media classifies as 'America' was heroic today. No, it's in the small stories.

I'm a liberal too, but look at both sides. You might be suprised/

No, the empire does not refer to the UK (!), but the Klingon Empire. Perhaps I should just change that to "Tokyo".

Sorry, but I don't think the things the people you know did were particularly heroic. As PerryBason says, that just sounds like a humane thing to do....

The freedomn of Iraji. Hail all Iraji!

I Don't really care what you think. You obviously have no influence over anything. At least I try to help. I don't sit back and drink my beer, suck on my hookah. What have you done? What little, tiny, thing have you done? Anything? Have you even lifted a finger? No, you just sit there and badmouth the countries you supposedly hate.

I am not badmouthing anyone or any country here. You seem to be doing the badmouthing! And I am not calling myself a hero or even remotely implying it...

I was simply asking why these people are being branded as heroes, thats all!

I'm sorry, just going off what I saw on BBC, Fox, AJC, CNN. You still haven't given a good response as to why you even question them.

Quote:
posted 20 April, 2003 01:22 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(I don't mean to offend anyone but), why are people taking part in and returning from war being called "heroes"?

I don't get it.

Aren't they just doing their job? Why do some people call them heroes?

You're a sorry sack. You sound like a little girl ' uhhh....I don't get it." you better explain yourself bettah.

Reading this thread with interest and from the outside, it seems to me that you are the one getting worked up and throwing the words around here, plucky.

Peace to you all, heroes or not.

\:D

Thanks xxx, I do what I can. You would get a little pissed off too if one your friends who had died came up in such a sarcastic way. klingon talks about heroes, but who is there to do it? Him? You? I might have to go. Basically, all you chard noppers who never have to sacrifice a thing in your life ( you ****ing pussies) join this and let's go! Basically, **** you, eat shit, and screw the **** off.

Calling them heroes makes them feel better about taking a working wage to go and kill and get killed in some foreign country for some issues they won't even try to understand. It's used to make them feel less foolish about their position.

It is also calculated to make them unassailable - anybody who tries to question their status as a hero is immediately open to invidious comparisons.

Like the word 'tragedy', the word 'hero' is now grossly overused. Took a wrong turning, got roughed up? - these days you're a hero.

Plucky, I've been in the military. What special thing do you have to say to me about the subject of heroes?

It's your same country man ocean! I can't believe how shallow you Brits are......

You are so hypicritical. You don't believe any of these guys are heroes in your country?

Have a good time dirt surfin'. Do you realize you aren't even close to the first of doing this? Check out NS Hawaii sometime.

So, I see you're back to being rude again Plucky. You have nothing to say.

First to ride Dirtsurfer? Er, no, I don't think so. Although obviously there aren't many of them in Japan, which is all that I'm talking about.

Hey Plucky, hey, hey, hey! Brits are shallow for not indulging in G.I. hero-worship.

Jeez, some nations try to make real heroes out of celluloid characters and even build shrines embodying their souls. John "True Grit" comes readily to mind. But that ain't shallow eh?

If the media really want's to focus on heroes, they don't need to look past their own backyards. You know the unsung ones out there, who couldn't give a rats about yellow ribbons, coz they're cutting it day in day out for years.

And why would a soldier spend so much time refining killing skills and then be shocked when called upon? Sounds like the trainee doctor who didn't realize people bleed. Eh! ;\)

I hope my resume is sufficient to have an opinion *insert sarcastic smiley face here*

I was also in the military, the Army. Two different corps (infantry and cavalry), three ranks (private, lance corporal, lieutenant). I was a rifleman as a private then the second on the M60 machine gun as a lance corporal. In the cavalry I was an armored troop commander in a light recon regiment and operated both a 30 cal and 50 cal out of the turret. I started to train for a posting to Australia's Commando regiment, but in the end my heart wasn't in it (I wasn't quite nuts enough to take the pain). I have never, ever fired a shot another person, but I have had some experience in uniform and cleaning a weapon.

I was trained by some of the most decent people I have met, one was a warrant officer who did two trips, to Vietnam, both times as an SAS lead scout (I thing American Infantry call them 'point'). How this guy is still alive I have no idea. He disliked with a passion the term hero.

Many Australian retired servicemen will not march on ANZAC day under teh banner of heros. Australia's most decorated soldier (from WWI) never marched and saw no hero actions. He won the highest award for bravery available in the Australian Army.

After the Australian service men and women returned from East Timor the public called for a street parade to reward the heros. General Peter Cosgrove who was in charge of the east Timor force (and now the entire Australian Defence Force) refused any such march.

It was very strange to read some info recently on the Australian SAS (operational info is usually kept very secret). Anyhow, they have been revealed as the first force to engage the enemy in Iraq in this war. A force of 100 SAS troopers 100's of MILES into Iraq territory, well ahead of the main body of force, engaging the enemy night after night with zero cover in the form of vegetation or geographical relief. Heros? Nope. just bloody professional experts at soldiering.

Heros do exist in war. But being in a war does not make you a hero.

Not calling someone a hero does not mean you do not appreciate their immense efforts in killing without being killed,which is what every soldier is trained to do.

Plucky, get of Mr klingons back.

Quote:
"the empire" would lead me to believe the UK
Muwahahaha! Yes, we Brits like to call our home "the empire"! We just can't let go...

And this mawkish insistence on calling soldiers heroes and letting them get big fat egos and contempt for civilians is not something that civilized countries encourage.

Since you mention the 40's Plucky, it might be worth noting that Allied soldiers fighting at that time had more reason to fear the enemy than their own side. We don't know the exact figures for Iraqis killed, but how much heroism does it take to slaughter masses of them with only a slight risk of being hurt by them (and an almost equal risk of being hurt by your own side)?

Why don't you try defining heroism yourself, then we can all have fun knocking you. How about all the Iraqis who fought vastly superior forces, for whatever reason, in the sure knowledge that they would die? Are they heroes too? Or does fighting for the wrong cause invalidate heroism? C'mon, instead of just abusing people, why don't you hazard a point of view and some argument to back it up. Hell, it might even be interesting.

Ocean of the Empire

Well said db, and also add to that the most decorated combat soldier ever Charles Upham (V.C and bar)who distinguished himself in WWII.

He would have turned down both honours except he didnt want to offend the King.

He too shunned any hero status, though he was always branded a hero, a tag which he was uneasy with. His stoic indifference to the attention he got propagated the myth about him.

There has always been a need in society for role models and heroes to look up to and he by token of his phenomenally gutsy war efforts became one.

He was just doing his best to help his troops and aid the effort against Hitler.

Like Kamo - I have to say "well said db".

I'm not going to try and answer Klingons question cause its too vague.

I will say this though - my definition of a hero is someone who willingly risks their own life to save anothers. Policeman, Firemen, and lifeguards are often heros.

Many members of the military (no matter what side they're on) become heroic when placed in the right situations. There are some who choose not to be too.

My experience is that most heros are not concerned with their own safety and truly care about the folks they are "saving", and therefore tend to be very humble after they've been recognized - more often than not, when asked why/how they were able to summon the courage to do what they did, the answer they give is "I was just doing my job".

hmmm...I suppose that does answer Klingons question after all....