Engagement ring = 3 months salary?

Im pretty sure it wasnt your girlfriend Im also pretty sure I didnt kiss the girl 8 years ago. Dude just kept bugging and gettin angry at my friend for tring to get him to stop. I was so blasted by the time I said it. db you know what happens when you getr drunk with dane.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

yeah it seems a bit ridiculous to waste so much money on a ring. why not go the super cheap route, and ask her family for an heirloom ring to use? if i ever get engaged, i want the ring to be my grandmothers engagement ring. then no money is spent and i know that i7ll like it.

what I want to know is if the recipient of said ring can actually see the difference between 1month ring or 3month ring or 5 month ring...

how does it go...

male: I want you to do my laundry (I hear that is the japanese traditional way to pop the question)...will you marry me?

female: yes!yes! I want to do your laundry!

male: put this ring on your finger...

female: its beautiful!

male: it better be! it cost me 5months salary, what do you think about that woman!

wakaranai.gif

danz

Fresh back from Sri Lanka the land of gems and a few interesting gem related experiences.

We looked at lots and lots of different sizes, values and colours I think you really can tell the difference between cheap and not cheap. It sounds cheesy but when you put a jewel worth 200 pounds next to one that is 100 pounds you can see the difference. Put that next to a cheapo one and it is glaringly obvious.

All your lady has to do is put her hand next to her buddies and youll be able to see the difference. Cliche but more expensive just looks much better, richer, brighter, deeper....

...take me back to the jewel shop!!!

Having said that another way to tell might be when the dude has no money for 6 months or when they get married and he has a 3 month salary deficit.

Screw that. Lets spend the money on something a bit more fun cool.gif

Let's have a look at why the three month rule came about...

The girls looking for financial security with the man so as to raise kids, if a man can splurge three months salary on a good ring, it's a good start!

If he buggers off with his secretary after she's given up her career, age, beauty and any other potential suiters, well, she can sell the ring for the price of a good divorce lawyer...

As for quality...been looking for diamonds myself lately, and I have to say the satisfactory ones ... well, one months salary just dont cut it...

what gets me is thatb in Japan, it seems that they don't wear the engagement rings after they are married - then they only wear the (much cheaper) wedding bands, whilst (at least in Britain) we continue to wear the engagement ring together with the wedding band. I have some Japanese friends who must have worn their 3 month salary engagement ring for just a month or so before it was put in a drawer somewhere! How bout some of your Japanese wives? Do they wear just the band? What happened to the rock?