Engagement ring = 3 months salary?

marriage....

Mogski, best to gather advice from those who are. Listen to Ocean et al.

I was given some advice once at uni. A knew a big Tongan guy that had a habit of making up stupid stories that you never knew if you should believe. He usually wore a sarong. We were at the bar, he was wearing his skirt as usual. No one ever teased him about it, thats for sure. Sorry, off topic... at the bar we were and he tells me about his wife back in Tonga. He did not see her often but explained why he wasn't worried about her misbehaving. In fact, he was confident that their marriage would last a life time and he would always be happy. He then proudly told me his secret, which he indirectly claimed to have done. After the wedding and before bed (and all that follows) he said you should slap your new wife in the face as hard as you can to show her who is boss. From then on all you have to do is raise your hand and she will remember who wears the pants. I told him he was yet again full of shit and was a skirt wearing Tongan. I could do this as I was his buddy.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funnily enough my Grandmother recently gave me similar advice. She wasn't big on the slapping thing but was certain the only way to make a marriage last was to be in control and show your wife who's the boss. God love Grandma!

Well, in Japan, if you can establish something as 'kimari' - 'that's just the way it is mate', then you're laughing. Especially if you own a jewelry shop and the mugs come in expecting to fork over a huge wad of money that would be better spent on a holiday or some nice beer. It's also a 'kimari' that after 10 years of wedded bliss you buy your missus 'sweet 10 diamonds'. Funny that - it's just the way it is.

Methinks, I'm just the kind of idiot to splurge obscene amounts on the person I'm crazy about. In fact, if I never had any girlfriends, I could retire right now. If I ever get married, the misses is getting an audacious ring whether she wants it or not. "Pamper and spoil" is my philosophy.

Quote:
Originally posted by db:
he was confident that their marriage would last a life time and he would always be happy.

...you should slap your new wife in the face as hard as you can to show her who is boss. From then on all you have to do is raise your hand and she will remember who wears the pants.
And I wonder why Im single? mad.gif "...and HE would always be happy" What a load of b.s.

And Im not cheap Mogs!.... ummm ok well maybe I am :p

Methinks, db is a hard talking but soft hearted guy and he ain't never slapping his babe.

Also, methinks Mogski can say whatever he likes now, since he seems set for life....in his own words:"I'm a happy man!".

BTW - I have heard the American rule of thumb (at least in the 90s) was an engagement ring should cost 2 months salary. The wedding band, which is actually worn and not just kept in a box, is usually considerably less expensive.

Quote:
Originally posted by enderzero:
With all due respect mogs - roll over and open your eyes...your girl's a BABE! \:D
Thanks, yes she is great. But she doesn't like the cold...

Well I guess beggers can't be choosers \:D

Zwellie move to any Canadian Ski resort and youll be married before the seasons over.

Off topic My Tokyo friend came to visit with her new boyfriend. The dude questioned me about her past forever (8 years ago). He scared me with his reactions. Thanking me for giving him ammo on his girl.

The girl only kissed a few guys when I knew her (8 years ago when she lived in the same dorm as my wife)"she was young and pure and couldnt be got" I said about 5 times.

finnally after dane and I drank the 2nd double to-kill-ya shot, I said something that he didnt want to hear. I was drunk and tired of the grilling "I said I kissed her once 8 years ago, before I got together with my wife".

dude wanted to fight me on the spot. The Tokyo friend got him out of the bar and I hope I never see that guy again. He struck me as a beater, from the moment I got to talk to him about my friend.

If anyone from this forum kissed my GF I wouldn't fight you.

I would seek out your residence and trash your sliding gear, burn your Goretex, Entrant, or whatever it is you have, and lay a nice big brown one in ya helmet.

No point in fighting cause the results don't last long enough nor hurt where it hurts the most.

BTW, completely different story if you are a girl ;\)