Engagement ring = 3 months salary?

Is this really the tradition in Japan? For the engagement ring to cost 3 times the buyers salary?

Sounds off it's 'ed to me, but...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our wedding ring is Hawiian jewlry.

probably cost us no more than 15,000 yen each.

our honeymoon was where all the cash went, no work for 13 months surfing almost everyday..... thats what my lady prefers and thats why I married her!

1, i'm feeling your pain. I'm dealing with this very problem at the moment.

I'm sure to draw a barrage of fire by saying this but what is it about women that they believe it makes sense to drop the equivalent of a deposit for a house on one little rock so they can feel good about themselves and impress their friends.

To quote a rather famous advertising slogan in Australia some years ago:

"Just say NO"

no fire from me, Antonio.

My current GF has stated that she would not expect, nor want, an engagement ring from me. That sounds great. But then she has also made it easier for me to ask the question. Tricky bitch. I demand that I be expected to buy a $300,000 ring. How dare she remove the barriers to entry.

I cant win!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, demanding rings with menaces is the first of many bad signs. It indicates completely muddled priorities and interests.

Dump a girl who wants expensive presents and a big wedding. (It seems as though we have a few candidates logged in at the moment...)

db on a salary like that I will marry you! No rings required! I will make it easy for you by proposing to you!

I won't sleep with you though.

If I ever get around to having a decent relationship one day I wouldnt want a big in your face wedding ring worth x-amount of money, thats stupid. Find something you like and buy it or get it made, demanding amounts is stupid, as is not letting the lady pick it - in theory shes going to wear it for the rest of her life so she might as well like the thing!

Quote:
Originally posted by zwelgen:
If I ever get around to having a decent relationship one day I wouldnt want a big in your face wedding ring worth x-amount of money, thats stupid. Find something you like and buy it or get it made, demanding amounts is stupid, as is not letting the lady pick it - in theory shes going to wear it for the rest of her life so she might as well like the thing!
amen to that. i cannot imagine myself with a really fancy big rock on my finger anyway. im easily pleased, simple is best.

plus ive managaed to drop 2 rings (not of the engagement nature mind) down the drain in the space of about 2 months. everything seems to go in slow motion when you drop a ring in the shower and just wait for it to get sucked down the drain.

Yeah, the theory of rings is all very well, but they're a big hassle. We got some fairly 'spensive gold and platinum ones, and after about 6 months I started getting finger rot. I had a nice itchy red ring around my finger so I begged leave not to have to wear it. Oh the knashing of teeth over that!

"Well, if you're not going to wear yours, I won't wear mine!"

"But...but...your finger doesn't rot and you're supposed to like rings anyway!"

"That's always your attitude!"

"Uh, yep, you knew that before we bought the rings..."

My friends have gone through similar hassle having lost their rings in foreign hotels and the like. "Why ever did you take it off?!!" is the question that gets screamed over and over.

With rings, you're just paying money for trouble. And if you optimistically get them engraved, then the pawn shop won't take 'em.

amandasim & zwelgs we could work on something here. cool.gif

You seem like cheap women and since I am a cheap guy we would make the perfect couple. Or threesome depending on how you wish to make this workout. \:D

db, you only say that about the salary now to get out of making a commiment. I have seen this before!

Quote:
Originally posted by zwelgen:
 Quote:
Originally posted by db:
Zelgs - get out if this thread, you ain't neva gunna be wed.
and youre going to have 10 kids and an ex wife sucking the moolah out of your wallet :p
More fun than 10 kids and a CURRENT wife I should think.

You know this thread is not a great advertisment for those of us whom are single and thinking about getting married. \:\(

I guess there is one thing that I can be happy about; Any woman who wants me certainly don't want me for my money! Aint got none. Got plenty of everything else though. cool.gif