When I first came here I seemed to go to one a week or more. It got really tiring - especially having the say the same things, not be able to eat most of the food, and them cost so much.

They're not that bad. The worst enkai i've been to still rates ahead of sitting at home by yourself watching Japanese TV. A few beers and a bit of a laugh. If you can't find at least one person at these things to have a chat to then i really feel sorry for you.

Here's my thoughts.

I like them:

- when there's some cool chicks going;

- when I don't pay myself

I don't like them:

- when its just boring old guys;

- when I pay myself

I like the way at enkais when your boss or whatever is pissed, you can actually talk to them much more openly (and them to you much much more openly) and actually feel rather friendly about it all. Pity is in the morning all that's forgotton and it's back to the norm.

Like all parties, it is going to depend on who you're with. I have had some wonderful times at official enkais.

The worst part when you're having a good time is the official stop time - there there, not a minute longer now.

Some of my most fun nights in Japan have started with enkais. I like it when they go good, then the party really starts with the people wanting to actually stay together going on for more. Good fun! I must admit though that they're awful if you don't want to be there.

I hate it when I have to go to the parties with the way-out traditional food on offer. I can eat like 2% of it (the rice) and spend the rest of the time hearing comments about my incompatability with Japanese food mad.gif

I actually went to an enkai on Friday night, and actually enjoyed myself. One of the fun ones, lucky! Had to laugh after the first party when everyone was mulling over the options for the nijikai for a few minutes before the amazing idea of karaoke was brought up. How original!