I read that Fattwins quit/doesn't pay. Me neither bra! It costs a minimum of 14,910 per year and it is the law that if you've got a TV you must pay. I don't watch it nor want it. I feel public television stations should be funded a donation basis..not by law! I told the NHK guy that I don't have a TV and he hasn't come back yet. Am I wrong? Is this a social responsibility?

I didnt mind payinng it per month. when they charged me per 6 monthes after telling me that I would be paying monthly I was pretty pissed, The wife was pretty upset too. Plus the NHK guy had no customer service skills. he didnt even know why we had to pay, just that we had to.

Apparently there is a law that says you have to pay but there is no punishment if you don't. Kinda hard to enforce it then. We pay though - a bit hard to pretend we don't have a telly with a satellite dish sitting on the roof!

I ended up disconnecting the doorbell because I was so tired of those guys ding-donging all the time...especially on Sunday evenings when they think they'll trick you into answering the door expecting a friend at that hour...

If there is no consequence to non-payment, then the tax is actually a voluntary tax.

So you don't have to pay.

ok next time the telly man comes around, get one of your housemates to eat the telly, then allow the telly man to come inside (or bust past u), and if the plug is still hanging out of your housemates mouth, he can claim its a toaster \:\)

anyone? anyone?

great telly moment of all time! (well two in one post) surely everyone knows.

They haven't come to our house once in 4 years. I think the NHK voluntary tax is an urban tax.

Needless to say, we don't go looking for them to give them money. Nor did I go to the local customs office to show them my imported snowboard as I had been told to do. (In Rwanda, apparently a lot of people were told to go to a certain place to be massacred, and due to their culture of obedience they did - not sure that I believe that. But voluntarily taking one's snowboard to the local customs office seems like a mistake of similar magnitude.)

I bought a couple of TV's at LAOX and apparently LAOX sent in my forms for me b/c the NHK dude said he knew I had bought a TV. I just told him it was a gift to my wife's (NHK paying) parents.

I recommend a "doorbell tax" placard on your front door. The placard will say in perfect polite Japanese,

"50 yen charge for each ring of this doorbell. Ring doorbell to make payment. If doorbell tax collector is not available, please leave your home address and telephone number. Doorbell tax collector will visit you on Sunday evening around dinnertime. Thank you for your cooperation. Let's enjoy to cooperate in payment of taxes."

Howzat? Not for nuthin' did I go to law school.

\:D

You have to pay with the BBC, otherwise they put you in jail. They have detector vans and spy satellites and threatening ads on the TV. I dunno how much it costs as I never had a TV in the UK.

Re the BBC's detection vans etc., I wonder to what extent modern innovations allow one to avoid detection?

For example, watching TV on an LCD screen via cable or Net.

I feel like Googling this to find out what their detection equipment actually detects...

TAXATION IS THEFT.