nope, not one cent. debt is useless unless it makes you money or leverages you into a more secure footing in life (eg, buy a family home).

debt on cars is 100% bad (yes, I have had debt auto debt before, I am bad). Think about it: you repay more than you borrow for an asset that is worth less than you paid for it when you borrowed. Double whammy money trap.

Debt is bad unless used aggressively for gain. Lazy debt (credit cards, personal loans etc) are, well, you know my opinion. Having said this, money is very very cheap at the moment.

I have student debt but does that really count, being as I had no other alternative to getting the education I wanted?

And I'm being chased and harassed for it, so I've decided to run away to Japan!

nah freakboy, i got my student hecs debt too, and whackin pels on that. its been festering and getting bigger for some time now, so i choose not to think about it, and what i dont know cant hurt me :p

but youre on your own with credit card debts - nasty. my friend in london has just failed a working visa reapplication and is now working a waiting job to pay his off, so he can one day return and hold his head high.

After 9 years of avoiding a student debt I have finally started paying it off. Luckily they've written off most of the interest during the intervening years so I've only added about 2 grand to the initial principal. Apart from that I tend to avoid debt like the plague.