eek.gif

Saw my first one of the year today. Last year we had a few in the house one day and I hated it - didnt like the house for a few weeks! Bought some "cockroach jam" that they eat and then take back to the nest to kill their friends.

Anyone have any cockroach problems here?

I am sure the place I just moved out of will have em, but I doubt the new place will. I was at some dive the other day and one scuttled right across the bar. My buddy jumped up but the bartender just causally grabbed some spray and executed the baddy like a Texas murder suspect.

Cockroaches are arranged like anything in Japan. You have to understand the local way of handling things.

I lived in an apartment where 2-3 cockroaches were on the walls and counters every day, just waiting for me to come home. I'd turn on the light and make some noise, and away they'd scamper. I never killed them or tried to, I don't like to kill bugs if I can avoid it. Karma and all that you know.

After some months of this, I came home one day to find the largest cockroach I'd ever seen sitting placidly in the middle of my genkan. As large and ponderous as a toad, he showed no sign of fear or even agitation.

I flicked the light on and off, on and off, then made some noise and vibration, but he only lay there looking round as if I were nothing but a flea.

"This," I thought, "is the King of the Cockroaches for this building... I better show him the courtesy and politeness his position demands..."

I carefully ushered him into a drinking glass using a bit of paper plate as a scoot. I put him down outside near some wood, and then added a bit of water to some sugar to make a paste. I put the paste right in front of him--he hadn't left in the interim--and he slowly moved forward and put his face into it to eat.

Bowing once very politely, I returned to my apartment and continued with my normal evening routine.

Not a single roach ever visited my place again in the remaining 18 months of my lease.

I hope you people can learn a lesson from this. The smaller, quick roaches are just the chinpira gokiburi. The O-sama or Oyabun sends them to see what you will do.

If you don't molest them, he comes round himself to pay respects, and you should treat him as befits his station.

I was plagued with mosquitoes and cockroaches flying into my apartment as it had no bug screens. I asked the manager of my English school to install them as I noticed every other person in the block had them. He refused saying "You don' need dat! Hahaha!"

The next time the oyakata of cockroaches came crashing through my open window and alighted on my dirty dishes, I speared him with a fork, put him into a plastic bag, and took him into the English 'school'. About 10 pm when the nightly booze-up was in full swing, I got him out and showed it round to my 'students' explaining my problem with the absent bug-screens. The oyakata was beginning to smell quite badly of rotten fish by this point.

I got my bug screens installed. I made the manager 'an offer he couldn't refuse'.

Haw haw haw! Good one!

I thought you were going to put the dead roach in his coffee cup, but I like your ending better. Because you got to smarten him up, AND you got the screens.

I suppose in the great cosmic arithmetic, the sacrifice of one bug's tiny bumbling spirit saved the lives of countless others who would have flown through your open panes and met with, like, an accident.