CRYTONOMICON is beyond excellent. one of the most entertaining, complex reads I've had in awhile. I bonded with a guy in Niseko over it...

Books are powerful, no?

It's Mike Moore recently, though... (silly bush)

:rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since "Cryptonomicon" I have read Stephenson's earlier "Snow Crash" and "Zodiac." Both very different than Crypto but both written in his excellent style. Both are considerably shorter as well. Now I'm looking forward to getting my hands on his new one, "Quicksilver."

I read 'Shonen H' in translation - excellent.

Also some Kawabata and Mishima, some of which I liked and some disliked.

I also read what was probably a very bad translation of Botchan (I get a bit tired of things Botchan here in Matsuyama. Build a new stadium - what to call it? Of course, Botchan was not about sports and athletics, but let's call it the Botchan Stadium anyway.)

"the geography of thought: how asians and westerners thinkg differently.... and why" by richard nisbett

ab fab!!! on so many levels asians and westerners view the world differently- westerners are more object/linear/logic focused whereas asians are more holistic/dialectic and concerned with relationships. his theories are backed up with research in cognition and culture. really insightful for why something things/people here just don't make sense to me. i definitely recommend it!!!

That was Kawabata's "Snow Country". I can't remember much about that one apart from being bored. I liked the one about Shogi and the other one about Kyoto.

I've read Mishima's short stories "Death in Midsummer".

I also have a new avatar.

I love Kawabata's novel, he wrote very beautiful story and scenery. "Koto"(about Kyoto as Ocean said, I'm not sure English title) is my favorite.

When he wrote this story, he resorted to using sleeping pills and he was feeling half awake according to his postface. That's why this story is beyond our imaginings. His end of life was very dismal. And "The sound of Mountain" is also beautiful story set in Kamakura.

Nekobi's recommended book sounds very interesting. Can I find Japanese edition?

Maybe ocean11 meant the mishima book about kyoto, ie. 'The Temple of the Golden Pavillion' which is about the nutty manic depressive priest who burnt the temple to the ground. I'm reading it now, but its a little bit long and slow.

No, like slow said, I meant "Koto" - "The Old Capital" in English.

nekobi, I had a look for your book in the library, but couldn't remember the damn title for a catalogue search...

Good horror? M.R. James used to scare the crap out of me. After reading "Oh, Whistle, and I'll Come to You, My Lad", sleeping next to an empty bed has never been the same...