I know Murrin Murrin, my ex-boss was heavily involved in nickel exploration. I've done some work out at Lake Carey. Spent a few nights at the Grand Hotel, Kookynie too. Love that pub. It's like a Western set. Victorian frontage and front bar, backed by a tin shed.

kookynie6gw.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ordered that the other day and looking forward to reading it. Good read is it?

The synposis got me:

"This important and timely book delivers a startling analysis of the clash of faith and reason in today's world. Sam Harris offers a vivid historical tour of mankind's willingness to suspend reason in favour of religious beliefs, even when those beliefs are used to justify harmful behaviour and sometimes heinous crimes. He asserts that in the shadow of weapons of mass destruction, we can no longer tolerate views that pit one true god against another. Most controversially, he argues that we cannot afford moderate lip service to religion - an accommodation that only blinds us to the real perils of fundamentalism. While warning against the encroachment of organised religion into world politics, Harris also draws on new evidence from neuroscience and insights from philosophy to explore spirituality as a biological, brain-based need. He calls on us to invoke that need in taking a secular humanistic approach to solving the problems of this world."

I took Ocean's advice (I think it was Ocean) and picked up a copy of "Saying Yes to Japan." So far, into about page 80 an interesting read.

I was at a book strore yesterday. I noticed I don't mind reading a book that later becomes a movie. But I could never buy a book with say Tom Cruise, Russell Crowe, etc. on the cover. I wanted to read "A beautiful Mind" but couldn't get myself to buy it because a Hollywood figure was on the cover.

"Watching The English" by Kate Fox

All about "Englishness", whatever that is. Only just started but it's very interesting.

"Are there any times when the English abandon their Englishness?

During recognised periods of cultural remission, such as freshers week, New Years Eve or Saturday night. But there are rules about which inhibitions you can shed. You can expose your buttocks, but not your genitals. You can urinate and vomit in the street, not defecate. You can tell sexist jokes, but not racist ones. It's not socially acceptable to forget whose round it is. And you can still jump a queue"

I thought Brits didn't jump queues? ;\)

• 1 month later...

Sumo/Akebono fans might be interested to know that you can pre-order a biography of Chad Rowen (aka Akebono) from Amazon.

The book is "Gaijin Yokozuna: A Biography of Chad Rowen" by Mark Panek.

Looking forward to that one Kintaro.

I haven't seen him much lately, what's he up to? Sames for Konishiki, are they still in sumo?

Erik!

How about this for a title

The Mighty and the Almighty : Reflections on America, God, and World Affairs (Hardcover)

by Madeleine Albright

A friend had this and passed it on to me. Finding it strangely interesting.

• 4 weeks later...

Diary of a Rock n Roll Star by Ian Hunter. Mott the Hoople frontman putting out his dirty washing. Makes for an interesting read though. Anyone read that famous rock biog of the Motley Crue?

Quote:
Originally posted by lin:
I have recently read that one too powwwers.
what did ya think lin? it took me a bit to get into it but once i did i could really relate.
after i finished it, i went and hired `BEAT` the doco. style movie. it shed a lot of light on where he was coming from. would love to live the lifestyle but just can`t bring meself to do it!!