• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Reading the history of the Australian Wool Reserve Price Scheme. "Beaking the Sheep's Back" by Charles Massy. Not easy, so I fit bits of it around lighter stuff like Grisham, Nora Roberts etc.

yeah its cool, starts off with the Boer war (JUST the end of the 19th C), a war that I'm not genned up on at all, thru the 1st world war, the Easter Rising in Ireland, the spanish war and I'm currently at the end of WWII. I love war history books.

Wild Swans, can't remember the author off hand, but its about 3 generations of women in the same family from before the war, through the chinese revolution

Read that some years back. Unbelievable in sight to locked up China. If my parents generation had fed me so many lies. I would disown them.

Tubby, if you like war history stories then you might like this guy.

http://www.booktopia.com.au/Peter-FitzSimons/author22.html?gclid=CM-FoZfU9q4CFcODpAodfnkJwA

He's written a some books on a couple of Australian war campaigns. Purely from an Australian perspective though.

my mate, an ex Royal Marine, is working as a "Security Consultant" on the ships combating the Somali Pirates....dangerous work but he's making a stack of cash

I'll check that guy out, always good to see conflicts from different perspectives

• 4 weeks later...

I'm Reading "STALIN: The Court of the Red Tsar" Very interesting.....I didn't really know much about him before. Has sparked an interest to find out about Lenin, Trotsky and the Russian Revolution in general

I'm Reading "STALIN: The Court of the Red Tsar" Very interesting.....I didn't really know much about him before. Has sparked an interest to find out about Lenin, Trotsky and the Russian Revolution in general

I just started The Concubines Secret by Kate Furnivall. It's set in Russia China in the 1930's. I'm pretty ignorant of the russian revolution also. All I know is millions of people died in the gulags.

yeah.....just getting to the bit on "The Terror" now....pretty hard core reading.....unbelieveable how people could live like that and treat others, often their former friends, so badly