• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
Not having much luck, either.
Stopped reading after a few chapters on the last 3 books from the library.

I'm impressed! How can you do that?
The only book I've ever given up on was fight club, incredibly dull book at the beginning, don't know about the rest. (haven't seen the movie)

Slow, monotone, boring conversation, adding up stuff to bulk up the pages ... usually ending up with me reading the pages diagnolly. Often ending the book just to find out any twists and conclusion.

Lots of mediocra writers out there that makes me think it´s just a matter of being published, anyone can be a writer.

Catch-22....started and never finished, just couldn't get into it

The Shining....started and NEVER, EVER, EVER gonna pick that evil book up again!! Scared me shitless, so much so that I actually couldn't sleep until I took the book out of my bedroom

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver

The Shining....started and NEVER, EVER, EVER gonna pick that evil book up again!! Scared me shitless, so much so that I actually couldn't sleep until I took the book out of my bedroom

And put it in the freezer? wink
Originally Posted By: RobBright

And put it in the freezer? wink

nah, didn't do a Joey, BUT it did leave my room and sit on the kitchen table. I seriously couldn't get to sleep with it in my room!! omg

Oh comeon, get into it, some of it is plonk but it's worth finishing!

I <3 Major Major Major Major

Never read the shining, but It was a scary book. Never saw the movie of either, I haven't really read or watched anything scary since I was 13.

1421: The Year China Discovered The World. Gavin Menzies.

Good read for the history/nautical types, which I am neither, but managed to rip through this book fairly easily.

Those crazy Chinese....so much achieved but the rest of the world almost totally oblivious.

Although, it must be taken with a pinch of salt. As alot of the data used my Menzies has been completely slated by the academic community.

Originally Posted By: MintyNZ

Oh comeon, get into it, some of it is plonk but it's worth finishing!

nah, I thought it was a load of tosh, not gonna pick it up again

Catch 22

The term will survive as a English proverb but yeah, the movie is worth seeing. A good anti-war movie. War is all about money.

Shining is scary.

Remids me of my ex-girlfriend who said horror movies should be banned. The power of word suggestion.

Contemporary Japanese Restaurant Design by M Jitsukawa.

So awesome ideas that are transferable to a home. Well laid out and interesting and good detailed text.

Just make sure you get the english text version if you want to get more out of it then looking at the pics.

Into Thin Air, by Jon Krakauer. Its about this journalist and climbing enthusiast who joined an expedition to clmb Everest in 1996 that went horribly wrong. Pretty damn interesting, kind of like that fly on the wall documentary that was on UK tv a few years ago.

Finished Wild Swans - the book was a bit scattered and only mildly entertaining until the cultural revolution.

Far out that shit is scary.

Being fairly young, and living in the middle of nowhere I have never experienced anything that could ever be compared to the mildest of hardships that the book describes during the cultural revolution.

I was revolted through much of it, in awe of the people that lived through it, completely hooked - I need to read more about communist China now.

But, I went to a bookstore near my physio yesterday and picked up Shogun and Tai-pan! Winna! Ooo, and five really old Nat Geographics - love those things.

Started reading Shogun, it's already intriguing. The depth of description Clavell uses makes me wish I knew more about how to do stuff, because I could write really well if I knew more than what I have learned from books - Don't get me wrong, they've taught me a lot, but I'm such a generalist.

TB - good book. Very interesting. The book convinced me that I have no desire to climb Everest. I think they mentioned the IMAX crew in that book. Was that movie completed? I forgot.

Finished reading The God Delusion and has categorically strengthened my position as an atheist and the abuse kids are put through by their parents when it comes to religion.

The age old tenets from the Bible, aka the best fairy tale ever created, and how much they are blown out of the water by scientific evidence, even in daily life, just made me laugh that there are people who are indoctrinated with false ideas.

Originally Posted By: Kintaro
TB - good book. Very interesting. The book convinced me that I have no desire to climb Everest. I think they mentioned the IMAX crew in that book. Was that movie completed? I forgot.

It has definitely had that effect on me (not that I actually harboured a real desire to climb Everest). It just makes me think "why would you do that??"

I think the IMAX expedition did continue up, they had given their O2 bottles away to others to help in the rescue attempt but managed to scrounge almost the same amount back through half empty ones that were lying around. I guess the film got made. Parts of it make me sad and a little angry i suppose, like when they just walk on by people who are in real real trouble. Of course at that altitude its the correct decision, the burden the stricken climber would become would put their lives at risk, its just from the comfort of my seat, while reading, I think how can they do that!!
Originally Posted By: MintyNZ
Finished Wild Swans - the book was a bit scattered and only mildly entertaining until the cultural revolution.

Far out that shit is scary.
Being fairly young, and living in the middle of nowhere I have never experienced anything that could ever be compared to the mildest of hardships that the book describes during the cultural revolution.
I was revolted through much of it, in awe of the people that lived through it, completely hooked - I need to read more about communist China now.

But, I went to a bookstore near my physio yesterday and picked up Shogun and Tai-pan! Winna! Ooo, and five really old Nat Geographics - love those things.

Started reading Shogun, it's already intriguing. The depth of description Clavell uses makes me wish I knew more about how to do stuff, because I could write really well if I knew more than what I have learned from books - Don't get me wrong, they've taught me a lot, but I'm such a generalist.

Yeah Clavell really weaves an intricate story in those books eh?! smile

Try Four Fires by Bryce Courtney, another author who really writes detailed storylines.
Originally Posted By: RobBright
Finished reading The God Delusion and has categorically strengthened my position as an atheist and the abuse kids are put through by their parents when it comes to religion.

The age old tenets from the Bible, aka the best fairy tale ever created, and how much they are blown out of the water by scientific evidence, even in daily life, just made me laugh that there are people who are indoctrinated with false ideas.

Absolutely. The hate in this world is from religion. If there was a way to let them got at it without affecting the rest of the world, then all the better. I'd put all the muslims, jews, christians, seekhs, and all other religious groups into the arena and have a great afternoon.