Correct. I liked the historical background. She has done a lot more research of the area and history, especially looking at it from the Ottoman side.

Actually, I thought the end bit got too hurried because I was getting used to the pace and felt some stories cut short/untold.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wild Swans: Three daughters of China - Jung Chang

It seems to be a big fat book but written so that it is easy to follow and easy to maintain interest. That said I only started it last night.

It hasn't hooked me yet, but I have nothing else to read. Sigh. I'm down the the very last of my xmas books from my uncle (he gives me a 50cmx50cmx50cm boxful every year.)

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
whose god doesn't exist? all of them?

yeah. all of them. All of them used as way by small minded despots to control the uneducated masses
Originally Posted By: RobBright
Reading the god delusion now.

some good arguments in there for there not being a god.

Haven't read the book but I love the author's cold cutting delivery. He comes off like a right bastard lol

IMO re. religion "Whatever gets you through the night" Just don't try to try to lay it on me.
Originally Posted By: RobBright
Reading the god delusion now.

some good arguments in there for there not being a god.

Haven't read it myself, but Dawkins and a creationist write their books as replies to each other, so it may pay to research a bit and find out the correct order to read their responses in.

Could be a laugh.

Just read Shogun by James Clavell, great read about an Englishmen that washes up in Japan in the 1500s although its almost like he got sick of writing it as the end is rather abrupt and seemed contrieved. Still good fodder for many hours of long haul travelling.

Originally Posted By: panhead_pete
Just read Shogun by James Clavell, great read about an Englishmen that washes up in Japan in the 1500s although its almost like he got sick of writing it as the end is rather abrupt and seemed contrieved. Still good fodder for many hours of long haul travelling.

Ooo, I've only read noble house (in the same series, but set in Hong Kong in the 60's) and I found the same thing - the end wraps up in pages, yet the book covers a period of only about 1 week in incredible detail. Seems strange.

I did enjoy it immensely, but the only Clavell book I can ever find at my local second hand is the one based in the middle east.

Tai-pan is also a great Clavell book. I've read all of the asian saga and have to say that Tai-pan and Shogun are deffo the best. Whirlwind (set in Iran) is probably my least favourite

Boy they are some old books can't even remember what year I read Shogun and Tia-Pan but not a bad read. Just read 'Einstein: His Life and Universe'. Worth a look!

Yeah Noble House and Gaijin, while decent reads, did start to become hard work in places. I read Tai-pan first and then Shogun, then went and read the others in the order they came. Clavell does weave an intricate story. As does Bryce Courtney. I've read a few of his as well, Three Fires is my fave, but Potato Factory is good too once you get through the first chapters that are concerned with why the characters were transported to Australia for crimes against humanity! wink