I have just read:

1984 by George Orwell

and Princess Masako, Prisoner of the Chrysanthemum Throne by Ben Hills

I am currently reading some crud by Michael Chrichton called Next. Actually its entertaining and I am enjoying it on a purely switch off and read level

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't have a lot of time to go reading and indulging oneself in contemporary or classic literature. After all the bollocks I read at work from amateurs and has beens, it's a really nice change to come to SJ and read the world news and see the nutters doing their nut thing.

Originally Posted By: thursday.
After all the bollocks I read at work from amateurs and has beens, it's a really nice change to come to SJ and read the world news and see the nutters doing their nut thing.

Thanks thurs, it's nice to be appreciated. \:\)

I'm reading tim Flannery's The weather maker. It's a bit of a heavy read for two reasons.
1-It's fairly depressing account of what's in store for the next generation. (my kids)
2- A lot of science that quite frankly goes over my head.

Should only take me another month or two to finnish it.
  • 3 weeks later...
 Originally Posted By: bobby12
TB - what did you think of that princess masako book?

It was ok, an interesting look into her life, but I guess its similar to the books that have been written about Princess Diana, of which I have read none, and I'm not interested in them at all. Dunno why I'd read about Japan's royals but not the UK's

Just started reading "God is not Great" by Christopher Hitchens, pretty interesting. Many thoughts ( at this early stage) were the same as mines when I was young

I've just started it and I'm only into the 2nd chapter but already my interest is piqued. What he says in the 1st one about when he was a kid how he had all these doubts etc, that was me too, it really struck a chord with me.

Energy Flash: A Journey Through Rave Music and Dance Culture

Brings back memories of Aciiiiiid and crazy raves in the fields in Ingerlund early 90's. Interesting account of how all that started and how it developed.

I was reading it during my considerable dabble into the content so I guess it appealed to me lots at the time......my brain isn't fried (that much) either!! \:D

• 1 month later...

aomori, missed this post, sorry bout that. Yeah, I really liked it. The insight Weller gives into the situation there, but also in Japan and what the US military was up to was quite interesting. Some aspects where he keeps reporting what each US servicemen thought or said seemed kinda repetitive...but still a good read. Im at an international school so we have quite a diverse student body. I love it \:D

Im now reading Going to War with Japan 1937-1941 by Jonothan Utley. Only about 50 pages into it, and its really dry reading, so all Ill say is its quite informative. Much slower read than First Into Nagasaki.

Ive also just started The Ultimate Battle by Bill Sloan which is about the battle of Okinawa...literally only about 20 pages into it.

just finished Tokyo Year Zero by David Peace.

Not really sure if I liked it or not. It was frustratingly written, the prose was very stop start and very repetitive. I much prefer novels to be free flowing. I'm happy I finished it as it was starting to bug me, but it still had an interesting hook to see what exactly is going on

I'm in the middle of the Roads to Sata by Alan Booth - it's been great so far! I enjoy any travel writing on Japan grin.gif

Next on the list is We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver.

• 4 weeks later...