• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Grey "Heresies: Against Progress and other Illusions".

Still near the beginning but it's an interesting read and heard good things about it. I'm not usually into political philosophy. It's a bunch of articles Gray wrote for the New Statesman against the backdrop of Iraq with the big point being the danger of idealism.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Just started:

Belle De Jour: Intimate Adventures of a London Call Girl

Synopsis

"Belle is a natural-born blogger, her style is witty and compact, with the right mixture of intimacy and disassociation...Her entertainment value is huge...because she writes about sex with a mind behind it" - "The Times". Belle de Jour is the nom de plume of a high-class call girl working in London. This is her story. From the summer of 2003 to the autumn of 2004 Belle charted her day-to-day adventures on and off the field in a frank, funny and award-winning web diary. Now, in her "Intimate Adventures", Belle elaborates on those diary entries, revealing (among other things) how she became a working girl, what it feels like to do it for money, and where to buy the best knickers for the job. From debating the literary merits of Martin Amis with naked clients to smuggling whips into luxury hotels, this is a no-holds barred account of the high-class sex-trade, and an insight into the secret life of an extraordinary woman.

Herbert P. Bix was my Japanese History professor in College! Great guy and very understanding of me turning in one of my papers several weeks late! I did a double-size paper that took some time because I was working part time also. He really knows his stuff and his wife makes some great maki. \:\)

I got all the way through Patriot Games by Tom Clancy, a long time ago. The portrayal of Charles and Diana was pretty funny - Prince Charles offering to fight the IRA terrorists - "I am adept with small arms".

I'm reading "The Death of the West" by Pat Buchanan. Pat is a bit confused sometimes. He seems to count Japan as part of the West. It almost seems as though he counts it in because it was sufficiently 'energetic' to acquire itself an Empire.