• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone finish the Clinton book? I just could't get into it....made it to page 89.

I'm now reading Dogs and Demons by Alex Kerr. In my opinion, a good read for those of us living in japan.

I also received "A Bag of Bones" by stephen king for my birthday but haven't started on it. Any one read this?

Hey look our friend Bill O Reilly has written a new book to help us all out in life. He sure is "looking out for us".

>>>>>>>>>>>

Who's looking out for American children? You will not hear this in the presidential debates or the campaign this year, but American kids are under siege and society is not helping them. Recent rulings by the Supreme Court have pretty much said that anything goes on the Internet as far as sex and explicit violence is concerned. Even simulated sex with children is legal now.

That's just one example, but think about it. When most of us were kids, we were exposed to sex, drugs, and violence much later than the children of today.

Now some kids as young as 6 years old know what pot is, know what sex is, are using four-letter words. And even if you're a good parent, someone who protects your children from harmful influences, once your kids get into the school yard, they're bombarded with negative influences.

Gangsta rap, crude television, radio shock jocks, Britney Spears (search), Paris Hilton (search), steroid ballplayers. The list goes on and on.

American culture is hammering children into adulthood far too soon. It is flat-out wrong. So I have written a book called "The O'Reilly Factor for Kids: A Survival Guide for America's Families." This book, out today, is aimed at children ages 9 to 16 and to their parents.

You may remember about a year ago, we asked kids to send us e-mails about their own problems. We received thousands. We took many of them and crafted the book, giving kids answers to their concerns and specific ways to deal with troubling situations.

Both children and their parents need to read this book and talk about it. Studies show the best way to help your kid cope with this dangerous world is to talk with him or her. And children like that. They like it when you ask them their opinion on something. "Who's Looking out for You?" is a survival guide for adults. "The O'Reilly Factor for Kids" is its counterpart.

Finally, I consider myself extremely lucky to be where I am in life. My column this week about my conversation with President Bush behind-the-scenes makes that point.

So with all I've been given, I have a responsibility to help folks out if I can. When I was a child, I could have used a book that helped me deal with stuff, but that book did not exist. Now it does. I hope every American child gets to see it.

And that's "The Memo."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My current read is this one, highly recommended:

Global Warming: the Complete Briefing by John Houghton

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...=glance&s=books

"This book is for you and me and the millions of people who think that they ought to know a little about the biggest of the big issues. And for those people who want a clear and calm exposition of what global warming is, why it really matters and what we can do about it"

• 1 month later...

Mountains of the Mind by Robert MacFarlane.

I am half way through and so far it has proved to be an imaginative approach to 'the history of mountaineering' by combining theology, sociology, geology and the psychology of sequential eras in time and human development. It's a half decent and unusual book, I quite like it.