I have to agree with O11. It seems I get a new Clancy book every year for my bday or xmas. I tried to read one and could only make it through 200 pages or so. Horrible.

I'm just finishing up 'The Wolves of the Calla' by Stephen King. It's the 5th installment of his Dark Tower series. Awesome series and unlike anything he has ever written. I've also started reading 'Caught Inside - a surfer's year on the california coast' by Daniel Duane. It's been really good so far.

I've stayed away from the heavy books the last year or so. After staring at a computer for 8 hours, I need something enjoyable and fun to read. I'm going to check out that Seuss guy next I think \:\)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

"real world economic outlook" by ann pettifor

I met this book by chance today and try to read in English.

I have The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy from library. I have to read this first... busy... ;\)

Just finished "Nigger - The Strange Career of a Troublesome Word" by Randall Kennedy.

He's a very entertaining writer (just look at his picture on the jacket - he's one humourous dude). An interesting, if US-centric review of the word.

their eyes were watching god

by zora neale hurston

got recommended to me by several friends. is really good, though sometimes i have to read the dialogue outloud to understand what was spoken bc of the accent.

The Roads to Sata by Allan Booth. About the Brittish guy who walked from Hokkaido to Kyushu. Good travel writer and his daily adventures are for the most part amusing. Sometimes its slow though - Guess walking that far would be boring sometimes lol.gif

The Seven Ages of Paris by Alistair Horne

You might like this one, db.

Quote:
London is male, New York sexually ambivalent, writes Horne. But "has any sensible person ever doubted that Paris is fundamentally a woman?" The renowned historian (The Fall of Paris, etc.) thus conceives of his history of the city of lights as "linked biographical essays, depicting seven ages... in the long, exciting life of a sexy and beautiful, but also turbulent, troublesome and sometimes excessively violent woman."
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...=books&n=507846

just finished MONKEY BUSINESS by John ROlfe and Peter Troob...candy to the ears of a guy who wished to become a Wallstreet guy as a kid!

Quote:
You might like this one, db.

London is male, New York sexually ambivalent, writes Horne. But "has any sensible person ever doubted that Paris is fundamentally a woman?"
Cheers nagpants, sounds interesting.

So far I can certainly see that London is a Male that says things such as "eatin's cheatin". On the flip side Paris is certain a women. The streets themselves are too Stylish and good looking to be a man. I don't know about NY. I have been there and the positive impression that I got was that it is everybody's city. Everyone is living it their way yet all together in NY. particularly Manhattan where society was so communal the mood was your mood and everyone's mood at the same time. Like a big tribe.

Christ, who am I trying to kid. Did you mistake me for someone intelligent? ;\)
  • 2 weeks later...

just finished up "notes from an even smaller island" by neil humphreys. its about a brit who lives in singapore for 5 years, it is quite comical and if youve been to singapore you can really relate to what hes saying.

i found "the da vinci code" on our bookshelf so decided to crack it open. i cant see myself finishing it though.

• 2 weeks later...

Currently working my way through 3 books.

Next by Michael Lewis

Another Road Side Attraction by Tom robbins

My Life by Bill Clinton