My last post made me think...Hmmmmm, what should I read next: fiction or non. Anybody read something good lately? My last novel was "The King of Torts" John Grisham. Not that good but a quick read. I'm also working on "Hirohito and the making of modern japan." by Herbert P. Bix. Not a fast read....but historically speaking, interesting.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lonely Planet Travel Disaster Stories.

Its a collection of about 30 short stories by the LP authors. A mixed bag, some gems, some total crap.

If anyone interested in Japan has never read Clavell's Shogun, I highly recommend it. His second book Tai-pan (actually about Hong Kong, not Japan) is also very good. Right now I am reading the 3rd in the series, Gaijin (pretty funny to be seen reading that on the train) but find it not quite as much of a page turner as the first two.

"Tokyo Underworld" by Whiting was a good train read. Anything John Irving is also a good read in my opinion..Japanese books translated: Wagahai wa neko de aru AND!! Bochan are fabulous!! They are both written by the guy on the Japan 1000 yen bill (for your info.)....excellent reads!

Bernard Grob: Basic Electronics

I keep it in the toilet and I will probably finish it in time for the next snowboarding season.

I really need to buy some books that don't have test questions after each chapter...

Stephen King is a very laborious storyteller, and I wouldn't recommend his books at all. But the least bad one I read was the one about the killer car Christine.

I dunno about the book, but I love the film The Shining.

Just finished Ben Elton's High Society.

A touch cliche, but a fun, easy reading bit of political satire for white coral sands in the south pacific, warm tourquise waters tenderly caressing one's ... oooops, I digress...