Anyone ever tried to watch a Japanese drama? You know the ones - lots of slow scenes, 2 to-be lovers facing each other standing 5 meters away from each other in the pouring rain, etc etc.

I'm watching the "Pet" one at the moment, and what fun it is! Ahem.

Most of them are dubbed in Chinese but you can select to hear the original audio and have sub-titles in either English or Chinese. Sometimes they are even dubbed in English.

Besides J-Soap, I also like the Kitano movies.

no offense to all you J-Drama lovers, but I think J-Drama's are so lame man...

They're all super melodromatic, and portray japanese culture as being full of passion and romance, which couldn't be further from the truth.

either way... I watch em sometimes.... for the chicks... of course. ;\)

What cracks me up with the drama is the way they only produce a set number of shows, which seems to be decided beforehand. Take the recently finished "Good Luck" for example. It was the top rating show on TV for about 3 months and then they just say - "That's it - that's all we planned to make and there's no more"

Think of the advertising revenue thrown down the drain!!!

Can you imagine the producers of "Friends" after the first series, when it was taking off, saying "no that's about enough - we just wanted to make one series - we realise its exceptionally popular and we're throwing away millions of dollars by not making any more episodes but we decided to just make one series and that's the way its going to be".

shikatta ga nai ne.

I've sat through sections of that dreadful Hokkaido story and felt time stand still. So maudlin and hammy, and yet it brought the tourists flocking (in hopes of experiencing the same dreariness in person?)

Mr *, I love your point about passion and romance in J society. I think watching J dramas has put a spell on ol' Markie and got the poor bloke bamboozled.

Quote:
Originally posted by Shatterhand:
How come they have them in English? They don't even do that for the bilingual Tv setting here.
That the legacy of Hong Kong being a former British colony. We have two English and two Chinese channels broadcasting for free viewing (i.e. not counting the satellite and cable stuff). So when J-Soap is occasionally shown on the English channels, it is dubbed in English.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
Mr *, I love your point about passion and romance in J society. I think watching J dramas has put a spell on ol' Markie and got the poor bloke bamboozled.
O11, isn't it bad enough that you already have me all figured out? Do you have to spell it out to everyone as well?
Give poor ol' Markie a break!

You know that scene in "Clockwork Orange" when Alex is forced to watch ultra-violence film clips with his eyes clamped open? A personal Hell for me would be the same setup with Jdramas and Morning Masume clips in the place of ads. Imagine watching that for eternity...AAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love 'em...for someone trying to improve their Japanese, they are the most pleasant pedagogical tool imaginable.

Same story every time, so you already know what is going to happen. All you have to do is listen to the Japanese and learn.

And none of that rarified brand-me-as-a-perpetual-outsider "Kinou wa nani o shimasta ka?" textbook Japanese either.

I never like waiting for serial instalments to come out, whether it be a sci-fi mag in the US, Shonen Jump or a J TV drama etc.

Better to wait until the whole thing is done, then go out and rent all the vids at once. You can closet yourself in your room with a crate of chips, beer, cookies and instant noodles, and watch the whole thing in one marathon fell swoop.

Sheer bliss!

I am a man in touch with my feelings, folks. Why just this morning, I touched myself when I thought of Seto Asaka and Esumi Makiko, my favorite dorama gals.

\:D