Ridiculous traditions - in your home country

Kambei, I was struck by the same thing when I went to Guam at Christmas. There was a big snowscape thing set up in the airport, and the houses in the jungle had big cotton-wool adorned Santa figurines dotted about. And it was hot as all hell of course.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the tropical christmas thing is positively trippy. Lying in a Melbourne suburban garden getting a tan this christmas past, and the murmurings of carol singers drift by...

Driving to christmas dinner, and the site of christy lights, santa and sleighs in front gardens drew a 'what the ..., oh yeah, it's christmas' every time.

Positively bizzare ...

Ender: a rude way to end an interview? Normally yes, but the guy was a first class ego-driven goat.

On snow and sport and this forum and everything else:

To me, this is a forum about japan and the common link is sliding on snow. To me this site has very little to do with sport in the sense that I mean it when I talk about what most men call "sports".

Is rolling down a grass hill in a plastic bag a sport?

Yes, I am proudly un-Australian. I couldn't give two shits about any of our sporting icons, past or present. And I am totally uninspired by 90% of the Australian male population that posses a dull eye and lame spirit... unless they are talking about sport.... and you should hear what their wives say about them. ;\)

I think db has a good point. I enjoy talking about sport but not to an excessive level. NZ has it's fair share of people who have nothing better to talk about and it bores the hell out of me after a while. I am interested in watching and playing certain sports but I haven't got much time to discuss the merits of up and coming provincial rugby players and the like. Post match analysis gets me yawning beyond a reasonable stretch of time as well. There are usually better things to talk about or do I reckon.

The distinction needs to be made between "spectator" sport and sport as an activity. Snowboarding is definitely a sport but it is not so much of an organized spectator sport. And definitely not much of a corporate competitive sport.

What if big companies put together dream teams of the best snowboarders and competed head to head with other teams in a set league with set events for people to come see?

I think it might be cool...but then I like spectator sports.

• 1 month later...

The most ridiculous traditions in my home country (good 'ol U.S. of A.) are the worship of wealth, the hoarding of unnecessary material goods, the election (ha) of incompetent polictians, and the reverence of talentless celebrities.

Bog Snorkelling! A yearly sporting tradition...... Oh yeah and in Northern England they have gurning championships. Oh and holding hands at new year and singing Old Lands Ine or whatever it's called. I've been singing that s&%t for years and have no idea what it means!!!!!