Ridiculous traditions - in your home country

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should see some of these 38-year-old balding prats walking around the shopping mall in complete replica uniforms of this or that pro player.

Sheesh.

They look like toddlers dressed by their mother.

I enjoy watching sports and prefer college sports to pro. At the college level, people aren't as polished and it's harder to buy/stack a team with ringers like the Yankees do. For college kids the coaching makes a bigger difference in the game and the players are more likely to listen to the coach. The lesser team or players have a good shot at winning. Reminds me of when I played sports in high school and college.

Quote:
Originally posted by Antonio:
I'm a big sports fan myself but in recent times even i've come to question the amount of financial capital we're investing in global sporting success as opposed to hospitals, education etc.
Agreed there Antonio. When I saw the figures for the Americas cup I cringed. Dont get me wrong, I love yachting but when youve seen how far a few bucks can go to getting people on their feet you really wonder whats the point in spending a few billion on a yacht competition.

Bogans who wear their black jerseys tucked into black Levis often securely held-up with a studded belt. Add a mullet and you're loooking chooooice bro! Not a good look, but it survived into the 90's and may persist in remote areas of NZ to this very day.

Ah bogans, its been a while since Ive seen one of those! Just to add to the image they have to be sumpertaper stovepipe jeans, the black jersey has to be a fish knit one and the guy usually has a mostache and H A T E tatooed on his knuckles!

How about Guy Fawkes for those NZers and Brits. Thats pretty strange eh.

You do Guy Fawkes in NZ too?! Now that IS weird.

Going to other countries and having fireworks in warm weather was a real eye-opener for me -- being able to enjoy them without shivering seemed such an improvement.

I can't stand sport (sorry, that should be sports).

- Talking sport,

- playing sport,

- watching sport,

- sport pay tv,

- sport clothes,

- betting on sport,

- the sport pages of the newspaper,

- sport 'heros' like Bradman, that bloody horse etc etc

Leading the pack of my dislikes are: Golf, tennis, horseracing, boxing, all football codes, the olympic games, and worst of all, cricket.

I just thought I should shoot from the hip to clear up any percieved bias that I may have. It is not percieved, it is real.

How un-Australian of me... I can't tell you the captian of any of our international teams of any sport and nor can I tell you who won the final in any of the domestic football codes. This has been the case for several years now.

It is the one big thing that my GF and I really enjoy about Japan... no obviously dominant sport attitude in society (and no bloody Melbourne Cup!!).

I was once in an interview and the guy asked my the classic question: "so, what sports do you play/like?" ...... "Surfing"..... "yeah, right, that is not a sport, what about a real sport" ..... "you are right, it is not a sport and this is no longer an interview, goodbye."

...Aussie...

just helping with the future of international relations. spread the word

and i never thought of myself as anti sports, but i cant help educate u, db, on the current details of....well...any sport. but give me a racket or a bat and i'll happily try and hit whatever u throw at me. i dont think the west suffers from the same sports mania as melbourne or maybe sydney, so its never bothered me. in fact i was in melbourne when the grand prix was on (and the weeks leading up to it) and didnt even notice it. so i think its got a lot to do with the type of people u end up meeting.

i think sports in general are good for people. exercise if u play, or an interest to follow and share if u dont.

I like to 'play' (so to speak). Like you say, hit a ball around the beach, kick a ball/throw a frisbee at the park. I am not actually anti-sport, just get no enjoyment from the institution of sport. Plus I have a grudge against it as it has been shoved down my throat my whole life. Particularly at work where at social functions and office talk moments, I am largely silent and never 'part of the gang'. I don't want to be part of the gang, but it is tiring when it is the only gang available (at least at work). I have spent my whole working life on trading floors where having big breasts and a short skirt is the only excuse for not loving sport.

I once spent 2 weeks in our NZ office and oh boy, was I ever a fish out of water. When it comes to a passion for sport, the average kiwi makes the average aussie look rather arty-farty alternative type (which is too me far mor interesting that a sports nut type who has no personality other than their sports nut personality).

I know loads of people that love sport, but there is also a lot more to them as people than just sport-talk. Most of my friends are like this.

There were plenty of sports-mad families at my school in England. As nobody bothered to explain the rules of any of the sports that we engaged in, I was often completely baffled during PE. I developed a seriously ironic attitude to it all.

The sports-mad people were all marked by a complete absence of sense of humour, and their love of sport was only limited to winning. There was no sense of 'playing' or sportsmanship at all. After I left school and got away from all of that, I developed an appreciation of sport and enjoy it. And I'm always savagely contemptuous of sports-mad people if they ever try to get on topic with me.

Whats so strange about guy faulks? i used to love whipping out the catherine wheels and mi wee sparklers. it was always such a good night and you were able to scoff ya face with mi grannies parkin pig and the neighbours toffee apples!

went last year too to the british embassy - they had free beer. cant be bad!

they do it here too but

wearing neck ties

why would anyone wear a bit of material around their neck - the only percevable use would be to allow quick hangings of worthy individuals.

Quote:
Originally posted by enderzero:
db - what were you giving an interview for? Your company newsletter?
Ender - on the assumption that your's was a serious question, it was a job interview for a funds management firm.

On Neck ties: I like to wear them, but I also want the choice as to whether I do or not. I am an adult. The tie is just one of the many articles of clothing that can be chosen from. Right place/right time it is great to wear the stuff that you feel is right (that you feel comfortable in).

Hey db - if you are so adverse to sport et al, what are you doing spending so much time on a web site dedicated to snowsports talking about snowboarding, or is it only some sports?

The craziest tradition in Aust is the whole "white christmas" fixation. For those who haven't enjoyed a December in Aust, its not uncommon to see store windows with fake snow and santa displays, kids singing songs like Jingle Bells and families eating Christmas pudding. Its been generations for some families since anyone grew up in the Northern hemisphere, but we still can't quite let it go.

I think I have a feeling I know what dbs talking about - talking about sports that you do and what you are going to do in the weekend is quite a bit different to talking about sport on tv that you have nothing to do with.

you will notice that not much time is devoted to discussing the x-games/rules/winners/loosers etc cos generally ppl here are more interested in their own snowboarding/skiing etc