Living in Japan - things you dread....

I always dread something bad happening at home to someone in my family and having to make rush arrangements, not being there, only being there for a week or so, etc etc.

That happened to anyone here? Must be terrible....

Christmas.

It comes around every year with dreaded inevitability. You get all the stupid shit that you get with English Christmas - cliched decorations, people dressed as Santa, the same sickening tunes played in every shop. But none of that comes with any of the 'good cheer' or family togetherness that you sometimes get with English Christmas.

Still, I suppose you can go snowboarding...

ONIP, where I worked we paid every month, regardless of whether we went to any enkai or not...

When we did go, it always seemed that you didn't get very much food for your money. That enkai thing at some izakayas is a big racket.

5,000 for a couple plates of appetizers and a couple of drinks...better to skip the enkai and get drunk at home with instant noodles and cans of beer.

A lot of companies have a 'friendly society' thing organized. You pay a certain sum every month automatically to some committee who then waste it for you. They give some to somebody who is having a baby, some to somebody whose mother died, and the rest is given with no sane sense of economy to eating establishments and bus tour companies for totally third rate entertainments that very few people enjoy.

At my last but one company, I and the older secretary elected not to go on the company trip (she had been called 'baba' at a previous enkai and had taken deep offence). People sidled up to me and said "I wish I could avoid going too. It's because you're gaijin that you can get out of it.", although the secretary was Japanese too. So while these poor fools travelled miles in a smelly bus to see some temple on the other side of Japan somewhere, the secretary and I went in to work, surfed the Web, had a nice lunch with beer, discussed our woes, and both decided to leave the company at the first possible opportunity.

Yeah O11 and they use that fund to buy the snacks so its dame to bring your own food to much on yourself mad.gif I dont want any friggen choco! I dont want any friggen senbe! I dont want any of the crappy sweets! Gimme an apple and a museli bar any day that will at least satisfy my hunger.

• 3 weeks later...